What is your biggest RPG heartbreak?

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Yeah, I think I like 2e Warhammer best of all. I'd go with 1e, but while it's got the most attitude of all of the editions, 2e smoothes out the rough edges just enough, mechanically speaking.
Too bad it's almost impossible to find now.

Also, we felt it was pretty "whiffy", as in hard to hit, lots of misses.

overgeeked

B/X Known World

Except as a PDF. Which I linked above. And Amazon. And Ebay. And Noble Knight.

All you’d have to do to decrease the whiff factor is add an escalation die style mechanic. Every round you get some stacking bonus to hit.

Last edited:

Definitely. There were some solid setting books for 2e, but 1e just felt way more grim and cheeky at the same time.

2E mechanics with 1E setting.

Glad I didn't get rid of any of my books! I don't recall the combat too well, years later. But Warhammer Fantasy combat has always been something way more rough and brutal than D&D. It was something you wanted to avoid, what with those gruesome crit tables.

Retreater

Legend
For those of you experienced WFRPG folks ... I have the bestiary and core rules for WFRPG, but I have the current 4e release of The Enemy Within. Do you think I can just run the campaign with the 2e rules?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Definitely. There were some solid setting books for 2e, but 1e just felt way more grim and cheeky at the same time.

Glad I didn't get rid of any of my books! I don't recall the combat too well, years later. But Warhammer Fantasy combat has always been something way more rough and brutal than D&D. It was something you wanted to avoid, what with those gruesome crit tables.
Especially if you use some of the expanded critical hit tables.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
For those of you experienced WFRPG folks ... I have the bestiary and core rules for WFRPG, but I have the current 4e release of The Enemy Within. Do you think I can just run the campaign with the 2e rules?
There are some differences between 2E and 4E in regards to damage output and wounds.

Wounds. In 2E your starting wounds are between 8-14. In 4E you generally start with more. It's a calculation based on three different stats, but it's usually around +2-4 in 4E when compared to 2E.

Damage. In 2E a sword does 1d10+SB (strength bonus, the tens digit of your strength score). In 4E a sword does SB+4+SL (success levels, how much your attack tens dice beats your target's tens dice to defend themselves). This is effectively 1d10+SB+4...but you're generally going to get on the lower end of that 1d10. So damage is a bit more in 4E.

Comparing the starting Mutants from the Enemy Within 1E and 4E (there was no 2E Enemy Within, but it's close enough)... we get...nearly identical stats...except wounds are basically doubled.

Same move, weapon skill +15% in 4E, same strength bonus, same toughness bonus, intelligence is the same, dex is +1% in 4E, willpower is +5% in 4E, and fellowship is +20% in 4E.

So if you're running Enemy Within 4E using the 2E system, I'd halve the baddies' wounds and give them a -15% on combat skills as a baseline and adjust from there. But that's from literally just glancing at two stat blocks, so take that with a big grain of salt.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Except as a PDF. Which I linked above. And Amazon. And Ebay. And Noble Knight.

All you’d have to do to decrease the whiff factor is add an escalation die style mechanic. Every round you get some stacking bonus to hit.

Oh yes, PDF is there, that's fine. The hardcopies are difficult to find for less than $100 for the corebook.
That's what I meant as impossible. I should have stated 'financially impossible'. :D

Emirikol

Adventurer
Ive spent TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars on rpgs and related things since 1981.
My biggest heartbreak: my kids dont want to play.
Otherwise, by games that my players played once or declined that I really wanted to work out: Dark Eye, Top Secret, every zombie game evAR, and Indy jones.
I just donated 20 bankers boxes of books to the thrift stores including 2 boxes of old CoC (kept my recent stuff). Most of the rrst was donated to game convention charity auctions or 'whichever kid sat at my convention game table that day.'
All that remains in my collection:
Complete dnd collection
WFRP all editions
Old Top Secret 1e
and a couple reference books for oddball systems where I may get to play: TOR, star wars. Dark Heresy, Colonial Gothic/Zweihander.

Moving to PDFs has really softened the blow..sadly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases