What is your biggest RPG heartbreak?

For me, the biggest disappointment has been when Wizards decided to stop supporting the Living Campaign model; specifically the player-run aspects. Those volunteers who designed modules, ran interactives and all kind of weird events made the campaigns unique and fun. I miss the days when I would try and get a business trip to coincide with a weekend I could play in a different state so I could play in the modules that could only be played there. I miss the fervor with which local leaders would push their agendas and organizations. I understand that it was a bit exclusive and probably a pain for WOTC to run. But, basically,

I miss Verbobonc

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
My biggest heartbreak: my kids dont want to play.
Ooof, that hurts.

I'm nowhere near having kids. But it's something I've been thinking about and dreading; having kids and them not having any common interests with you, or finding what you liked lame.

When I was young, my dad would spend all his weekends with me and show me old movies, music, etc. I'm a naturally very curious and interested person, so I loved everything he showed me. I'd hate not to have that with my kids.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
I'll add Symbaroum to my list. After only 2 games we had a TPK and my lead player said he didn't like the system and the dark fantasy setting. Campaign ended for good. Big disappointment.

I'm not selling my books. I'll run solitary adventures for myself. Maybe I'll find other players some day.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
I'll add Symbaroum to my list. After only 2 games we had a TPK and my lead player said he didn't like the system and the dark fantasy setting. Campaign ended for good. Big disappointment.

I'm not selling my books. I'll run solitary adventures for myself. Maybe I'll find other players some day.
I bought the books a month ago. Excited to try it.

If all goes wrong and I can't get to play it, I'll steal the setting and adapt it to other TTRPGs.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Biggest for me is always-- I hope, bright gods I hope-- always going to be Gamma World 6e. I'm not interesting in rehashing any of the old arguments about it, but it contained absolutely none of what I was looking for in Gamma World (especially after Alternity Gamma World disappointed me) and absolutely nothing that I could salvage and transplant into a better d20-based post-apocalyptic game. Maybe not as morally and aesthetically offensive as Book of Exalted Deeds and Book of Vile Darkness, but still takes the "most disappointing" spot by virtue of replacing what was once one my most beloved RPGs of all time.

The only positive things I can say about it are that it's made of high-quality paper and doesn't contain toxic mold, so I can't honestly call it the worst post-apocalyptic survival game ever made.

On a less vitriolic note, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangness and/or After the Bomb, for which I cannot fault Erick Wujcik; my failure to grasp the Palladium house system well enough to successfully run a campaign with it is solely my own, and I have hopefully found a willing instructor to correct this deficit. I really, really, really want to love this game but I just can't get far enough into to it to do so.

Finally, I feel like this is the wrong place on the internet to be saying it, but I'm not the first in this thread: D&D 5e. I had basically fallen out of love with 3.5 before the release of 4e and the rise of Pathfinder, and never cottoned to 4e much at all, but I followed the D&D Next playtests with some enthusiasm and it looked like a promising new beginning. Seeing that they'd just reinstated the multiclassing mechanics from 3.0 whole cloth pissed me off something fierce, but I ran a game for almost eighteen months before giving up on it in disgust.

I have never had a publisher or a fandom make it more clear that their products are not for me, and I'm content to restock my library of all of the TSR-era products I've missed or missed out on-- for old time's sake-- and otherwise consider it mutual.

Hmm, the abrupt cancellation of the 3.5e Ravenloft Gazetteer line was one of them. I genuinely loved those books, and aside from an interesting 'metaplot' and narrator, they gave a lot of depth, verisimilitude, and atmosphere to a setting that had often been a series of loosely-connected adventure sites. I did have hopes that they'd eventually go up on DMGuild and maybe the original creators would consider completing the series, but VRGtR took the whole setting philosophy in the 100% opposite direction to the Gazetteers (one I personally don't care for), and while the books were on DMGuild for a little while, they got suddenly yanked a while back, and as far as i know there's never been any explanation as to why. I occasionally harbour dark and probably overly-paranoid suspicions that WotC want to keep the new 5e incarnation of Ravenloft front and centre and don't WANT the Gazetteers competing.

The other is probably Mutants and Masterminds. Yes, it's still around, but the line is basically a shambling zombie at the moment with very little life in it. I discovered M&M at the very end of its 2e 'golden age' and got right into it. But while there was a lot to like about the 3e system, it could have used a little more playtesting in a few places, and the sales model that Green Ronin used for it (lots of tiny $5 PDFs which maybe get released later as a compiled hardback) was extremely corrosive to the quality of the product line, and left a very bad taste in the mouth from a value-for-money point of view. And these days, Green Ronin is much more interested in its licenced properties and the AGE system, and M&M really just stumbles on as a neglected afterthought. Very few people seem to play it these days - back in the 2e era it was everywhere.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
My Play By Post games here on ENWorld. I've had a few players that played solidly for multiple YEARS spontaneously disappear. It's one thing when they're still posting here (so I know they're okay, even if they quit the game) but it's another thing when they post a turn for their character, and then... never again. I wonder what happened to them.

Remove ads