D&D General What is your default approach to the rules, permissive or restrictive?

Do you default to permissive or restrictive?

• Permissive.

Votes: 63 87.5%
  • Restrictive.

Votes: 9 12.5%

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As I already noted upthread, the "attempt" piece in fact isn't there in the OP, and its absence makes a very big difference.

With respect, this seems a level of pedantism that doesn't really add to the conversation.

aco175

Legend
You need an "It depends" middle ground.
I actually like that a poll does not have a 'it depends' option. I like to think it forces people to make a choice, even if it is 51% and not 100%. I voted restrictive myself, even though there are lots of ways that I can go the other way. I made my choice thinking of the other threads we have on this site where where we argue about intent or whiten and how I tend to think intent.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Given that it could easily make a difference to how someone sees and-or votes in the attached poll, I'd say accuracy in wording is important here.

Given the low statistical validity to EN World polls, they are at best a novelty. How folks vote is of no real importance.

The poll is a conversation-starter. The real value is in the discussion thread, where folks make clear what they individually mean, and how they feel about it, whether or not your "correction" is in place.

Your quibbling over that point, then, is taking breath away from the real value. Maybe don't?

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
I used to be restrictive. DMing for my sons friends when they were teens weened me over to more permissive. I try to take there narrative style actions and re-frame them into rules-based actions. Penguin PC : before: "No", now "lets workshop a race with stats that makes sense".

Oofta

Legend
I thought about this again, and decided to vote restrictive. Not because every action the PCs take is restricted to what is explicitly allowed by the rules but because the rules* give general guidance to handle things they don't explicitly state. So it's not permissive to let a PC attempt to jump further than their strength score, the rules tell us how to handle that. A bit further is a check with a general guideline to the DC based on a judgement call from the DM. On the other hand if a task is impossible such as "hitting the moon with an arrow" don't even bother asking for a roll.

So I'm restrictive because I'm following the rules when it tells me rulings over rules, that the book can't and doesn't even try, to give explicit rules for every situation. Want to swing from that chandelier? Go right ahead, I'll set a DC, decide if proficiency applies and improvise what will happen if you fail. Just like the rules tell me to do. :)

*In 5E and older versions anyway.

Argyle King

Legend
They do because they specify rolling a d20.
But they don't specify not rolling a d30.

It's an intentionally absurd example to show how the idea that I should be allowed to do something because it is not specifically disallowed can be abused.

Though, even my absurd example is tame compared to what I've encountered with some players trying to rules lawyer being allowed to do something because the rules don't specifically say you can't.

Yes, there are rules. Yes, I am also open to entertaining ideas not covered by the rules. However, I also believe that some amount of common sense and shared understanding about how the world works ought to be used as a governing guideline.

ezo

I cast invisibility
I think people might be surprised to find out I voted Permissive.

While I like a very solid rules framework, I am very happy to allow players to be creative.

What I have to reign in at times is when players want to bring in 3PP material, later WotC stuff, or their own homebrew ideas. Too much of it is not right for the style of game I want to run. We can try to come to a compromise, but if we don't they accept it is my game to run, so go with my ruling.

Likewise, when others DM, I go with their rulings and game style.

cranberry

Adventurer
I try to follow the rules to the letter whenever possible, but I'm not going to thwart fun or creativity if the rules (or lack of rules) get in the way.

I'd say I'm permissive. Then again, the basic rule of "roll a check against DC" covers a lot of ground already. But most things you can imagine, you can try, and I allow and encourage improvised actions in combat. That being said, one also must bear in mind that improvised actions shouldn't overpower actual features some classes get, so there must be some pretty clear limits on their effectiveness.

Remove ads