What is your earliest and most impressionable childhood memory of reading the original D&D or other games

Yora

Legend
Also the Moldvay basic art for me too. I think the Kobold stood out most. They were the centerpiece creature to the first "module" I wrote myself.

View attachment 149408
That kobold is pretty interesting. But what about this?

2c3baaace9acfd3ed656689b483b0047.jpg

When I first read the Basic rules seven years ago, it was this image on the first page that had me hooked way more than the more famous cover art. Most of the illustration in the B/X rules are really good.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
That kobold is pretty interesting. But what about this?

2c3baaace9acfd3ed656689b483b0047.jpg

When I first read the Basic rules seven years ago, it was this image on the first page that had me hooked way more than the more famous cover art. Most of the illustration in the B/X rules are really good.
I think that's the one that stands out most when I'm looking at the book (it is spectacular!)... but for some reason it doesn't stick in my memory.

I first read the Blue cover basic rules in 1979; I was in college at the time. As a long-time wargamer, I had a great deal of trouble getting past 'what are the victory conditions'.

My first WOW!!! moment with D&D was actually having D&D described and being told about the Cavalier class, must have been 1989 - I even remember where I was, on a particular bit of lawn outside St. Paul's Cathedral in bright sunlight, and who told me. I was just blown away by the concept and it sounded incredibly exciting.

A few weeks or months later we got AD&D 2E.

Then I wasn't actually blown away by of the writing or description in the PHB/DMG or ring-binder MC, but Forgotten Realm Adventures. The book which outlined the FR for new players, and updated it for old ones. That was amazing, and hypnotic, especially the incredibly evocative cover (a woman in bronze-looking armour on a unicorn in front of a mysterious tower).

And what got me even harder was, as people here can probably guess because I go on about it to this, Taladas - the Time of the Dragon boxed set. I was absolutely obsessed with everything in Time of the Dragon.

A lot of RPG stuff just burned itself into my soul in the next few years after that, but those are the earliest ones.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases