What is your earliest and most impressionable childhood memory of reading the original D&D or other games

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Lets see, Earliest memory of reading.... so that's not going to count my mother telling me to avoid it, it's evil.

So in 7th grade I had read a magazine article about the Minotaur and Labyrinth legend, and the article had art of a maze from above. It was a terrible maze, lots of chambers that were impossible to get into, really easy to solve, etc. So one day in class some guys saw me drawing a maze. They complimented it, And they asked if it was for D&D, I told them no, it's just to make a maze. They then loaded me a Forgotten Realms boxed set, I poured over every word of that loving it! Didn't play for almost a decade later though.

Bought the Holmes set after reading an article in my mom’s People magazine about Gary Gygax and Dungeons and Dragons. It absolutely blew my 9-year-old mind, but I couldn’t make head or tails of it as a game.

My most powerful memory of the books (aside from the classic Holmes box cover) is the list of characters in the back of B1. I still use those names for PCs and NPCs to this day.

PCs.jpg

The pool room illustration also left a lasting impression.

dscn8327.jpg

Last edited:

Remove ads