D&D General What is your favorite D&D material/products from a small publisher?

TheSword

Legend
I’ll second Odyssey of the Dragonlords. It’s probably the best quality 3pp product I’ve seen. A pleasure to read and to DM. You’ll have to ask @GuyBoy how it is to be a player in it. It feels original and I’m looking forward to some high level play.

Adventures in Middle Earth was also a lot of fun. This time I was one of the players and @GuyBoy was the DM. The best low magic campaign I’ve played in.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Bruce Heard’s Calidar. Bruce was the main TSR person running the Known World/Mystara line and the author of the Princess Arc stories in Dragon Magazine, his Calidar setting channels those vibes.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
For Pathfinder 1e: Rogue Genius Games Genius Guides to the Talented (class) are... well, genius. Dreamscarred Press' Ultimate Psionics, Path of War, and Path of War Expanded. Purple Duck's Prestige Archetypes series. I'd kick myself in the face if I didn't mention Tipsy Tabby's Overhauling Multiclassing.

In the OSR, there are a lot of little companies publishing new classes, one for a dollar, for Labyrinth Lord or Swords & Wizardry and effectively any other BX clone you want to use them with. I don't really want to single any of them out, so much as suggest that they're a great way to push a homebrew campaign or setting in specific directions.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
I recently received Oath of the Frozen King an adventure kit from Absolute Tabletop games. The adventure is solid, but what I really like about it is the format. Instead of presuming much about the PCs' path, it provides the Dungeon Master with adventure elements that they can plug and play as they see fit. Oath starts with the premise you are going to start with a published module not to run it as is, but will steal locations, villains, and NPCs. It is a pretty clever design idea.

GuyBoy

Hero
I’ll second Odyssey of the Dragonlords. It’s probably the best quality 3pp product I’ve seen. A pleasure to read and to DM. You’ll have to ask @GuyBoy how it is to be a player in it. It feels original and I’m looking forward to some high level play.

Adventures in Middle Earth was also a lot of fun. This time I was one of the players and @GuyBoy was the DM. The best low magic campaign I’ve played in.
Thanks for the vote of confidence about the AiME game. I loved it too.
In terms of Odyssey; I’m buzzing for it a a campaign. Deeply engaging, with an immersive world to get involved in and a re-emerging Evil raising its head. Really looking forward to playing again next weekend.
I also second the recommendation for Way of the Wicked. Thoroughly enjoyed the campaign, and the morality journey of my character (Ilsabet) who, in the end, could not match the evil of the others, reminiscent of Elric being told by Stormbringer, “I was a thousand times more evil than you.”

Thunder Brother

God Learner
I've never played in a AiME game but I have the pdfs and they're an absolute pleasure to read. The authors do a fantastic job of capturing the feeling of Middle-Earth while expanding it out in ways that don't feel out of place.

I can only say good things about Mike Shea's work. Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master has great advice.

I've had nothing but good experiences with The Arcane Library's adventures. They're super easy to read and run.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases