What is your reaction to the Ravnica news?

What is your reaction to the Ravnica news?

• Very Excited

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Excited

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Neutral

Votes: 75 39.9%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 31 16.5%
  • Very Disappointed

Votes: 19 10.1%

Craig Fox

First Post
I picked Excited, as Very Excited would be reserved for a new Spelljammer setting.

My initial reaction was "Ravnica? Really? I wonder how much Magic will be involved."
As I learned more, my hopes for a new Planeswalker class using a colored-mana system faded, but I still thought this could be a fun, worthwhile setting.
Now, I'm looking forward to November, and keen to know what my group has to say.

Negflar2099

Explorer
I put down neutral. I'm not into Magic, but Ravnica seems like a cool setting so I'm willing to take a look. Off hand though I think I'd rather use Ravnica as a single location in a Spelljammer campaign. That's more my style. I think the Ravnica cover is awesome though.

When I first saw Ravnica, I thought it was *instead* of the classic D&D settings. I was miffed.

But then I realized Eberron is coming out too. I think it's a great strategy to release one Classic D&D setting and one M:tG setting every couple months. Especially since the Magic planes are formally incorporated into the D&D Multiverse. It just makes the D&D Multiverse even bigger, with more places to visit. Cool.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
A new campaign setting without a setting appropriate adventure to get things rolling seems less than ideal. Here’s hoping one appears on DMs Guild at release time.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
But then I realized Eberron is coming out too. I think it's a great strategy to release one Classic D&D setting and one M:tG setting every couple months. Especially since the Magic planes are formally incorporated into the D&D Multiverse. It just makes the D&D Multiverse even bigger, with more places to visit. Cool.

That pace seems overly aggressive. Better to time new setting releases with the Magic card set releases, to maximize marketing impact.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
My feelings are completely neutral. I have no wish for another campaign world nor do I begrudge others. I've only just rediscovered my boxed set of Birthright that's been lurking in a back closet at my parents place for years and years.

I will admit, though, that I don't understand the vitriol that this announcement has produced. But I'm unaffected by it.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I'm both disappointed and excited.

Ravnica is my favorite MtG block. I love the Orzhov, the Golgari and the Dimir. However, I haven't seen a lot in the Planeshift PDFs that's really appealed to me. So, as is so often the case, it comes down to execution. This means I have muted excitement.

But, I was really hoping for something else. Spelljammer would have been awesome, especially if they had good naval combat rules for the 5e system. I've never read Birthright, so I can't say I'm a fan, but people online have raved about its landhold and rulership mechanics. Those would be cool to see in a 5e update (if they're as good as people say they are). I'm very "Meh, whatever" about Dark Sun, but seeing Planescape updated for the 5e cosmology would be cool.

I am glad we've got Eberron PDFs coming. A 5e update for Eberron is good to see as well (I just hope the artificer works better than the last UA one that was tied to magic guns).

Remove ads