D&D 5E What kind of planar book do you hope for?

Which approach to the planes do you hope WotC takes?

• Planar Sourcebook - open-ended toolbox

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • Manual of the Planes - Grubbian style

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Gygaxian multiverse - Gygaxian style

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Planescape-focused - Sigil-focused

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Spelljammer-focused - sphere-focused

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Planeswalking-focused - Magic

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Nothing/no interest/why am I here?

Votes: 4 6.2%

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'd save myself the headache and go use the setting guide template, ala Eberron and Wildemount.

I would have a chapter on Sigil and the different planes and a chapter refluffing the sea adventure rules from Saltmarsh for SPACE!, for those who like the concept of Spelljammer or Astral skiff.

What I would NOT have is a 1000 pages long essay on the cosmology that tries to make sense of it all. Give us the rules and descriptions of the planar cool spots, and let the DM decide how it is all connected. Do not try to create a ''realistic'' canon: people will rage because it doest not fit their vision, touch their precious Eberron/Darksun/MTG canon and will be a confusing mess if they try to merge all previous planar theories.

Maybe add planar templates based on the supernatural gifts to create ''plante-touched'' races like the Tanaruk, Planescape Tiefling, Elemental touched races etc. (IMHO you dont need to have 100 unique variation of ''has fiendish blood'' as player races).

I will always buy the Manual of the Planes when it comes out for any edition. That being said, I think it likely that what we'll get would be a hybrid book. It might be like Mordenkainen's, a mix of player options, world (or in this case, worlds) information, and monsters. Or it might be melded with a campaign-length adventure. I'd be pretty happy with any of those three options.

Mercurius

Legend
Much the same - I'm not keen on a general "planar sourcebook" since that material is already covered superficially in the DMG and core rules, and trying to cram the multiverse into one book could never be more than superficial. I would rather have a sourcebook focusing on one plane in detail, or planar adventures.

I don't think that will happen, except as a possible story arc based in Sigil, with details on planes relevant to the adventure. The hypothetical Planar Sourcebook would deepen what is in the DMG--including variant cosmologies--as well as provide player options, rules for planar travel and game-play, and tons of monsters. IMO.

jgsugden

Legend
That would pretty much be either the Planar Sourcebook or MotP. I think the key difference is the former is more of a toolbox to build and/or pick-and choose, and would likely be more comprehensive, while the latter gives more concrete info on specifics, may be less comprehensive but go into greater detail.
It specifically includes 4 of your options and addresses the other ones - so All of the Above is what I'd choose.
Wouldn't this be the first option? A Planar Source Book to give all the various options?
To me, a Planar Sourcebook would be a chapter each on all the planes. The other things I mention are the other options on the menu - so All of the Above.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I personally would like, something that has DM and player information. A brief overview, a couple of location and some idea about getting low level planar travel, using portals, doodads or whatever and some player facing stuff to facilitate planar travel/navigation and survival.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I would expect any planar handbook to expand on what is already in the DMG, alternate planar configurations might be mentioned but I don't think they would have primary place in the book. Would be nice to see if they explain how the DnD versions of the MtG settings connect to the standard planes. I recall in the AI game at pax that Crawford had the players moving outside the standard multiverse into another one

Something is want in it is challenges for all levels rather than making only high level challenges for high level PCs. That was something planescape did and I'd like to see it repeated.

I'd be interested in seeing sigil factions, we have a few ways we can do them now using supernatural gifts, faction/piety benefits (I like this best, piety instead becomes belief in your faction core tenets), and AI corporation benefits.

For the planes themselves I guess I'd like to see some more but mostly descriptions of the kinds of denizens and hazards you can find in them.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
WotC published a Spelljamming helm with usage rules in the Mad Mage book, and that's cool. I like the way they did it.

But really, as long as you keep your dirty Astral plane off my Spelljammer, I'm open to anything.

Though personally I prefer the Primeval Thule concept of planes as a "source, not a destination." That is, you summon creatures and powers form the planes, you don't go on vacation there. It's an approach that suits my preferred campaign style.

ChaosOS

Legend
For what it's worth Keith's new book Exploring Eberron is going to spend over sixty pages on the Orrery model and the setting's unique cosmology.

From WotC I'd definitely prefer something that gives options as opposed to prescribing a hypothetically setting-neutral book that's mostly just FR lore in disguise.

Remove ads