D&D 5E What kind of XP awards does your group currently use in 5E?

What kind of XP awards/advancement do you use in your 5E D&D game?

• Monsters killed (straight up)

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Milestone (as described in DMG)

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Monsters killed, but granted at Milestones

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Session-Based Advancement (as described in DMG)

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Story-Based Advancement (as described in DMG)

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Something else or variation on one of the above (please explain below)

Votes: 24 34.3%

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
One game was 50% of book stated amount for monsters (threats/puzzles) overcome another is 10% of book amount for monsters overcome (5% if they are monsters irrelevant to an aim (ie wandering monsters)) plus story amounts for acts performed (rescuing people, discovering stuff etc). Obviously I prefer slower advancement than the standard 5e speed.
How often was it awarded? How slow is slow?

I am doing (mostly) monster XP divided by party members (and NPCs when applicable) with a 5% to 20% bonus and I find advancement to be on the slow side (though not as slow as the two levels a year average we settled into for my longest running 3E game)

werecorpse

Adventurer
How often was it awarded? How slow is slow?

I am doing (mostly) monster XP divided by party members (and NPCs when applicable) with a 5% to 20% bonus and I find advancement to be on the slow side (though not as slow as the two levels a year average we settled into for my longest running 3E game)
Exp awarded after every session. Pre covid we had played about 14 weekend sessions (Friday evening until Sunday afternoon) at the rate of 3 a year and maybe 8x4hour online sessions a year since 2015. The party is now just 8th level.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Exp awarded after every session. Pre covid we had played about 14 weekend sessions (Friday evening until Sunday afternoon) at the rate of 3 a year and maybe 8x4hour online sessions a year since 2015. The party is now just 8th level.
Wow! That is slow.

I salute you!

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
In most of our D&D 5e games, the PCs hit 3rd level by end of session 1. Then 4th level by end of session 2. Then begins the slog through the adventurer's tier!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
In most of our D&D 5e games, the PCs hit 3rd level by end of session 1. Then 4th level by end of session 2. Then begins the slog through the adventurer's tier!
How long are these sessions?

In my 5E game they hit level 2 halfway through their fourth 5-hour session, and 3rd level after nine sessions, and 4th at the beginning of session #16.

Last edited:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I sort of award xp when I remember or feel like 😂 It’s kind of every two adventures or so I tell the players to level up, but that varies a lot...

Stormonu

Legend
I use the method I've been using since 2E and refined in 3E.

XP for monsters (as soon as the encounter is over). XP for completing story missions or points (as soon as complete). XP for roleplay and fleshing out the character (at end of scene).

Characters get about 1/3 of their XP from monster fights, the remainder is split between story & rp rewards.

If use XP for monsters and challenges, and also allow XP to be awarded for gold spent in pursuit of non-mechanical outlets that align with a character's goals.

Many people complain that 5E doesn't have a good use for gold, and if you play straight RAW, it really doesn't. This is a way for me to give a reason for gold for players who aren't naturally inclined to spend gold on things like fancy clothes, a stronghold/estate/business or even charity. (Of course there's plenty of players who do this anyway, but it doesn't hurt to reward them anyway)

I selected "Something else or variation on one of the above (please explain below)"

In our last campaign, I awarded XP for monsters defeated and challenges overcome. Worked well.

In our current West Marches style campaign, we've decided that an AL-ish session-based advancement was going to keep it simple and fair for the players. So far so good after 3 sessions. We set the expectation that working cooperatively to get session goals accomplished was a core tenet for the PCs and seems that all players in the pool are on board with that. Here is our official advancement guide:

Adventurer’s League-ish: PCs earn 1 XP per active session
  • 1 XP needed to advance to level 2
  • 2 XP needed to advance to level 3 (total of 3 XP)
  • 3 XP needed to advance to level 4 (total of 6 XP)
  • 4 XP needed to advance to levels 5-10 (total of 10 XP for level 5, 14 XP for level 6, etc)
  • 5 XP needed to advance to levels 11-16
  • 6 XP needed to advance to levels 17-20

Remove ads