• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What labor rolls could various lycanthropes fill?

Herosmith14

First Post
So, I'm slowly piecing together a campaign setting, and I had an idea for a nation that used lycanthropes as slave labor (repugnant, I know, but this is supposed to be a villain civ). My idea is that they would keep the "beasts" under control via silver whips and scorpions, and (for full moons in particular) cloaks made from a red material that, when worn, neutralizes the lycanthropy effect.

My idea is that the lycanthopes would be separated depending on their were-animal. Werebears and wolves would work the mines, were-boars/rats/tigers would toil away in the fields, and an equal share would be frequently let loose in a closed off area to be hunted down "Most Dangerous Game" style. Do you think there are other rolls to be filled, do you feel the listed ones would be better suited for another job? I will say, I do not have access to lycanthrope stats outside of the MM (I know I'm missing out on wereravens in particular), but feel free to suggest other lycanthropes to work other rolls.

One final note, in this setting, lycanthropy does not affect alignment. Shifting just makes them regress to savage, predatory instincts, putting them more akin to unaligned than evil when in hybrid/beast form, if they haven't been trained to control their "wild-side," though no amount of training can hold off the affects of the full moon.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I would say base it off the animal type. It might be interesting to create a kind of caste system based on your specific affliction. Were-wolves and tigers being trackers, were-bears and boars being brutish guards or burden-based work. Were-apes might have more upward mobility within a caste or higher status based on their similarities to humans.

Hell, you could have were-bees producing honey or special pheromones to influence intelligent creatures, were-ants to build structures and unquestioning soldiers, were-turtles and were-rats as farmers and gatherers, and if it's an island were-sharks/killer whales/barracudas patrolling the seas for escapees.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
You could also designate certain kinds of lycanthropes as to dangerous to allow to exist and are hunted mercilessly. Maybe the affliction of certain animals makes them more intelligent and cunning, or somehow even more uncontrollable. Maybe were-spiders or were-scorpions are such creatures.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads