• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Level Adjustment (ECL) would you assign for a immortal character?

Kaelynna

First Post
What ECL (level adjustment) would you assign to a PC or NPC with the following template/racial-like abilities?

Immune to poison and disease
Never die from age (immortal)
Polyglot feat (bonus)
Low light vision
Treated as an outsider; damage reduction 20/+1

Thanks!
- Kae.

Oni

First Post
Personal opinion, +3.

+1 for outsider (lowlight vision actually detraction, outsiders have darksight) and the Polygot feat useful put not powerful and easily enogh duplicated.
+1 Immune to poison and disease
+1 for the 20/+1 (great at lower levels, less so at higher levels)
-nothing for no maximum age as that will have very little game effect (though you might want to include timeless body or being immortal is more likely to be a curse than a boon).

boothbey

First Post
I don't know what ECL I'd use...but personally I would lower the damage reduction and have it gradually increase as the character progresses in level.

I've allowed or granted characters funky things like immortality etc...and I like a slow progression with the character slowly discovering his powers rather than getting them in one big chunk.

Kaelynna

First Post
I think I'll go with +4

This character is strictly an NPC.

His father, who was a mad wizard, invoked an epic spell ritual of sorts that transformed part of the life essence of a captured leShay (see Epic Level Handbook) into his child.

The Mad Wizard had 6 children and 7 captured leShay. However, when he attempted to invoke this ritual on himself (his last ritual), the experiment went wrong....very wrong. The madness opened up a portal to the Far Realm which sucked the Mad Wizard, as well as his stronghold, beyond Time and Space....

Fortunately the one leShay (another NPC) got away as the epic spell's blast of energy flung her out the stronghold's window (perhaps the god's felt mercy on her soul) as well as the 6 six children. The mother ran away with the children while the Mad Wizard was performing his final experiment.

Anyway, that is the general background. And to answer one of the poster's questions, I've been Dming for over 18 years. I hope his/her question wasn't meant to be 'offensive'.

The damage reduction may not be necessary, and I could certainly lessen it or remove it entirely. The main things I wanted were the immune to aging, poison, and disease, the low light vision, and the polyglot feat.

I'll most likely go with +4 ECL. +1 for immune to aging. +1 for immune to poison and disease. +1 for low light vision. And +1 for polyglot feat.

Let me know if any of you have further thoughts.

Thanks!

- Kae.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
I would gve him lower damage reduction (DR 10/1) and maybe give him some faster healing, a bit like inmortals from Highlander, they bled, they suffer but they heal quickly.

Kaelynna

First Post
Re: I think I'll go with +4

Kaelynna Thelanthra said:
This character is strictly an NPC.

His father, who was a mad wizard, invoked an epic spell ritual of sorts that transformed part of the life essence of a captured leShay (see Epic Level Handbook) into his child.

The Mad Wizard had 6 children and 7 captured leShay. However, when he attempted to invoke this ritual on himself (his last ritual), the experiment went wrong....very wrong. The madness opened up a portal to the Far Realm which sucked the Mad Wizard, as well as his stronghold, beyond Time and Space....

Fortunately the one leShay (another NPC) got away as the epic spell's blast of energy flung her out the stronghold's window (perhaps the god's felt mercy on her soul) as well as the 6 six children. The mother ran away with the children while the Mad Wizard was performing his final experiment.

Anyway, that is the general background. And to answer one of the poster's questions, I've been Dming for over 18 years. I hope his/her question wasn't meant to be 'offensive'.

The damage reduction may not be necessary, and I could certainly lessen it or remove it entirely. The main things I wanted were the immune to aging, poison, and disease, the low light vision, and the polyglot feat.

I'll most likely go with +4 ECL. +1 for immune to aging. +1 for immune to poison and disease. +1 for low light vision. And +1 for polyglot feat.

Let me know if any of you have further thoughts.

Thanks!

- Kae.

Maybe rather than damage reduction, I'll give fast healing 3 (like the feat in the Epic Level Handbook).

So now we have the following:
Immune to aging, poison, and disease (+1)
Low light vision (+1)
Polyglot (+1)
Fast Healing 3 (+1)

I guess I'm also questioning the damage reduction. Not sure if it should be included.

I visualize this epic spell allowing the caster to draw off the life essence of the creature and transferring it into another. Kinda like 'donating blood but involuntarily heh'.

Each 'ability' or characteristic increases the ECL of the recipient by 1. This epic spell, of course, should have adequate costs for the caster as well (XP, gold to develop, time etc.)

And of course, if the caster attempts to draw off too much of a creature's life essence, then some major catastrophy occurs (such as what I described above in a previous reply).

So is this better everyone? Fast Healing 3 instead of damage reduction 20/+1? I'm trying to capture the roleplaying flavor of a character with a touch of leShay traits rather than overpowering the said character.

Thanks again!
- Kae.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
I like it!

An additional DR 5/+1 wouldn't be too overpowering, but if you don't like it it's not neccesary :)

Remove ads