D&D 5E What level do you like to start at?

Which level do you feel gives the best starting point for a new campaign?

Votes: 68 51.5%

Votes: 2 1.5%

Votes: 49 37.1%

Votes: 3 2.3%

Votes: 7 5.3%

Votes: 2 1.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 11+

Votes: 1 0.8%

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Well the latest season of Critical Role just started started today and they started at Level 3, again.

And though I know this question gets asked on the regular, with the impending "5.5e", I feel it's a good time to ask again:

What level you you like to start at? Or perhaps more accurately, which level do you feel gives the best starting point for a new campaign?

Mercurius

Legend
I prefer to start them at 1st, as it allows them to really grow into and bond with their characters. The higher level you start, the more things you have to learn, whereas if you learn them as you level, you have a better sense of your character - both their stats and their person.

But I generally level them up quickly the first few levels, spending more than a session or two at levels 1 and 2, then two or three sessions at 3 and 4, then slowing down to about four or five sessions per level starting at 5.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Typically 1st level. If I am going for something specific that requires greater power, I will consider starting higher, but usually, I start at ground level for whatever system I'm working with.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Almost always 1st level for a campaign, but for one-shots, I try to have at least one prepared for each level 1st through 11th, then one for 16th and one for 20th level.

In our games, you start at 1st level and are 3rd level by the end of Session 1. So not a lot of time spent at 1st and 2nd levels.

With earlier editions I stated at 1st pretty much without exception. Back in 1E/2E, even getting to 3rd level could take several weeks of playing and felt like a big achievement.

5e has pretty much embraced the idea that the first couple of levels are "training wheels" levels you should blow through in a couple of sessions anyway. If I was running for a group of new players I would start at 1st, otherwise I don't really see the point anymore. 3rd is the new 1st.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Like many, I prefer to start at whatever the "typical starting level" is in the rules. In the case of D&D 5E, I've found that not only do the players have a chance to learn their characters, they have a chance to learn how they fit together as a party--potentially changing their subclass selections. I also find that I have a better feel for the characters' goals and abilities, starting at first.

If I had something shorter in mind, I could see starting at a different level.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases