• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What level is your favourite?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
20th.

I so seldom get to play in gams beyond level 12, because the game starts at 1-3 and ends before reaching really high, if I'm stuck playing one level the entire time, I'd want to to be the one I've played at the least.

In terms of most "fun" level, or one where there's still a tiny modicum of balance and smoothness in turn length...I'll go with 12. 12, like 6, is one of those major levels where the power tier seems to irrevocably shift a degree. Possibly due to the jump in power from level 5-6 spells and that everyone gains BAB, bonuses to all saves, a feat, AND an ability score boost. :)

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Playing 3.x, I'll agree with 6th or 7th level. There's a reason I dig E6 philosophy ;)

From a player's perspective, that's when a lot of iconic monsters are encountered, and the classic "hero" attributes really become apparent - iterative attacks, flashy spells, magic item creation, prestige classes, and the like. And yet an angry mob with pitchforks is still a threat.

As a DM, I find it's also as easy to build an adventure around mundane orcs or bandits as it is to build one around demons, dragons, or unspeakable aberrations. IMO, D&D feels most versatile around this level.

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
For 3.x, 9-12-ish. I know 5th level spells are part of what makes this about the point where non-casters start falling behind the curve, but they're also really cool.

For 2e, 5-7-ish; beyond that the class imbalances get out of hand.

I haven't played 4e beyond low heroic tier yet; I think I'd be happiest at paragon tier (though I'm having fun at heroic), but until I actuall play there for a bit (and in epic tier for a bit), I can't say for sure.

Humanaut

First Post
My favorite spread to play and DM has always been from 2-8, with 4-7 being about perfect... so if I had to choose a number, I'd jump on the bandwagon and select 6th level. Whatever edition (but I've never played 4e).

Lancelot

Adventurer
Depends on edition

BECMI/1st/2nd/3rd edition: 7th level.

That gives access to 4th level spells for casters, which includes some really interesting options. It's also in a sweet mid-zone where the PCs haven't yet become too powerful to play the mid-level modules (e.g. Slavers, Pharaoh, Ravenloft, Tamoachan, etc)... but they're also almost within reach of taking a stab at the higher level modules (Against the Giants, Tsojcanth, Temple of Tharizdun, etc).

4th edition: Honestly, I've been really impressed at how the game has held up well across all of the Heroic and Paragon levels. There's no longer a "sweet spot". For the sake of argument, I'd choose either 6th or 12th level. 6th level has 2 each of dailies, encounters and utilities - which gives a nice selection of powers for all classes. 12th level opens up some cool paragon features.

Aus_Snow

First Post
1st. There's nothing quite like that breathtaking freshness and risk, no matter which paths you choose.

Living dangerously, if vicariously, is fun. :)

fba827

Adventurer
For 3.X, I would have to say 6th (mainly for the reasons pointed out above -- casters get a taste of those level 3 spells). Of course, I'd prefer to start at 1 and work up... but, if it was just one and only one level for the whole arc/campaign/etc then it'd be 6th in 3.x

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads