D&D 5E What Level Should This Spell Be? (Artificer, Homebrew)

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
2nd level seems about right to me. While it's a potentially powerful effect, it's also highly circumstantial. I'd be very careful about when and where to use it against PCs though.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
2nd level seems about right to me. While it's a potentially powerful effect, it's also highly circumstantial. I'd be very careful about when and where to use it against PCs though.
A couple of people have mentioned that already, about using caution when targeting PCs with it. What is the major concern? It only breaks attunement, temporarily, and only to one item, and the target gets to choose which one. Most items don't require attunement, and plenty of magic items are still usable when not attuned... just not fully.

What am I not seeing?

Last edited:

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
A couple of people have mentioned that already, about using caution when targeting PCs with it. What is the major concern? It only breaks attunement, temporarily, and only to one item, and the target gets to choose which one. Most items don't require attunement, and plenty of magic items are still usable when not attuned... just not fully.

What am I not seeing?
It's just one if those things that affects PCs very disproportionately. PCs are often dependant on their items to highly variable degrees. A PC caster who loses access to their Wand of Magic Missiles probably doesn't care all that much. A character who suddenly loses their only source of light or darkvision, however...

It's sort of like if you design a spell that turned halflings into jellybeans. Most characters wouldn't care that much. But the one halfling player who kept getting hit with it would be having a bad day.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I think the part I'm struggling with is the impermanence of it. I really don't see how this could have a profound impact. Breaking attunement isn't breaking the item itself, after all, and the PC will undo it anyway at the next long rest. (Which will almost certainly happen immediately after this spell is resolved! :) )

But maybe I'm wrong. I'll have to test it out and report back. Our next gaming session is in a couple of weeks...stay tuned.

Remove ads