D&D 5E What Level Should This Spell Be? (Artificer, Homebrew)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'm writing a new artificer spell for my campaign. What spell level would you assign to this?

DISRUPTION BEAM
2nd level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Target: one creature within range
Components: V, S
Duration: Instant
Classes: Artificer, Wizard
A beam of crackling green energy springs from your arcane focus toward a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. Choose a target creature within range that you can see. That creature must make an Intelligence save throw or lose attunement to one magic item (chosen at random or selected by the target), and cannot reattune to that item until after a Long Rest. Cursed items, legendary items, and artifacts are not affected by this spell.

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
The earliest I could see it for the standard game is 3rd level, as that's the tier point when an attuned item is roughly expected.

But that would put the Artificer using it at 9th level, so I may gate an infusion at 5th level that allows the spell once per long rest.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Likely 3rd as the baseline, but it should probably work like counterspell or dispel magic. Where the more rare the item the higher the DC to roll or higher slot required. Un-attuning someone’s legendary magic item shouldn’t be a 3rd-level spell. Maybe use the Magic Item Rarity Table (DMG p135) as a guide. Rare 3rd-level slot. Very rare 6th-level slot. Legendary 9th-level slot.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Likely 3rd as the baseline, but it should probably work like counterspell or dispel magic. Where the more rare the item the higher the DC to roll or higher slot required. Un-attuning someone’s legendary magic item shouldn’t be a 3rd-level spell. Maybe use the Magic Item Rarity Table (DMG p135) as a guide. Rare 3rd-level slot. Very rare 6th-level slot. Legendary 9th-level slot.

That's an excellent point. I might change the last sentence to "Cursed items, legendary items, and artifacts are not affected by this spell."

Even without that caveat, the target chooses which item is disrupted...so it'll potentially take multiple hits from this spell before the caster is finally able to break the lich's attunement to his legendary Talisman of Ultimate Evil (for example). Unless a single enemy has multiple Legendary magic items attuned, in which case something strange is going on.

Last edited:

Could it do anything other than cancel attunement? Enemies with attuned items that matter seem extremely rare in my experience. Or is your expectation that this spell will be used against the PCs?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Since it is a half caster spell, at what character level would you want it to show up? If you want it showing up at 5th character level then it's a 2nd level spell, it is a fairly niche effect. If you want it more mid range then make it a 3rd level spell so that it shows up at 9th character level.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Agree with 2nd level, but I think it should be a save instead of an attack roll.
Hmm. That makes a lot of sense. I don't have a problem with this spell using an Int or Cha save throw instead of an attack roll. It doesn't deal damage or cause any harm, so "attacking" with it seems it out of place.

jgsugden

Legend
I'd make this second level, and I'd add elements to it. It is very conditional, so it needs a little more oomph.

DISRUPTION BEAM
2nd level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Target: a creature within range
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 minute
Classes: Artificer, Wizard

A beam of crackling green energy springs from your arcane focus toward a creature within range and disrupts the flow of magic in the items that creature carries. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target must make a Chrisma saving throw for each magical item they possess.

On a failed saving throw the magic of the item is limited. If it is currently attuned, the wielder loses attunement to the item and can't begin attuning to it again until the duration expires. If the item is not currently attuned, the magic of the item is suppressed until the end of the duration.

At Higher Levels.
When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level, the duration is 1 hour. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th or 5th level, the duration is 8 hours and the target must make an additional charisma saving throw or they will lose concentration if currently utilizing it. When you use a spell slot of 6th or 7th level, the duration is 24 hours and they must make the saving throw to maintain concentration. When you use a spell slot of 8th or 9th level the duration is permanent until dispelled and they must make the saving throw to maintain concentration, and that saving throw is at disadvantage.

Remove ads