D&D 5E What levels do people play the most?

What level was your character at the end of your most recent game session?

Votes: 5 11.9%

Votes: 3 7.1%

Votes: 2 4.8%

Votes: 4 9.5%

Votes: 7 16.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Darkcloud

First Post
Sometimes people say that the very high levels don’t matter very much because people don’t play them often- I usually don’t. Also, while reading forums, I might skip reading posts about high-level characters, abilities, modules, etc., because I doubt that those situations will occur in my game group.

That lead me to wonder, what levels do people really play the most? D&D beyond seems to indicate that people play the lowest levels the most, but that could just be that people like making 1st level characters. I, personally, hate the first level. Online adventures are the most common in the 3rd to 8th level range, if I remember correctly.

So, let me put it to you: What level was your character at the end of your last game session? Looking at this may help us to consider what is important when we discuss D&D. It could be helpful to answer like this: "This multi-class build will not be very good between levels 3 and 6- how important is that?"

Clarifications:
  • If you are a DM, use the average level of the group.
  • If you play in more than one group, just use the one you attend the most. (I thought the poll was created to allow a second response, but it seems like only one response is possible)

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
I answered based on the thread title question, and not the poll question, because they are completely different things. And I think you’ll get much more value over what is the average level you end adventures on, rather than what was the last level you played.

For example, the level our last adventure ended was 2. But that was a brief play test on an AL adventure and is not representative of where we usually end adventures on.

Shiroiken

Legend
Clarifications:
  • If you are a DM, use the average level of the group.
  • If you play in two groups, then put both.
  • If you play in more than two groups, just use the two you attend the most.
Does not appear to allow for multiple answers. The game I play in is at 8th level, but the one I DM averages 2nd level.

Darkcloud

First Post
I answered based on the thread title question, and not the poll question, because they are completely different things. And I think you’ll get much more value over what is the average level you end adventures on, rather than what was the last level you played.

For example, the level our last adventure ended was 2. But that was a brief play test on an AL adventure and is not representative of where we usually end adventures on.

Thanks for mentioning it. If it was based on level of ending adventures, then a person would also want to know the starting level, to get a range, and that sort of thing isn't possible - even though it would get us a lot more information in shorter time. I hope that with enough responses of snapshots of what people are playing when they first read the thread, that it will give us a good overall picture of what levels are played most.

Does not appear to allow for multiple answers. The game I play in is at 8th level, but the one I DM averages 2nd level.
That is disappointing, Shiroken. I will change the directions in the original post.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I like the poll. Its a snapshot, people will be at all sorts of different stages of a game, but you are seeing where they are now.

And hence, bump.

Li Shenron

Legend
That lead me to wonder, what levels do people really play the most?

1st level is naturally the most played level because pretty much everyone started 5e at 1st level, and the vast majority of games presumably still starts at 1st level. Gaming groups start at higher level when none of the players is a beginner in the edition anymore, and yet many if not most of those groups still start at 1st anyway.

But your poll is more interesting because the caveat of "last session" displays essentially what is the CURRENTLY most played level.

Remove ads