D&D General What makes an Epic Map?

Xeviat

Hero
After a few years of playing (and 15 years of trying to run the adventure), we're getting close to finishing Red Hand of Doom (I've been converting it to 5E).

I'm pre-preparing, and looking to find/make a map for my final fight against the Aspect of Tiamat (I have made my own stats, stating her as a CR 16 Mythic, which puts her at about CR 20-21 worth of XP). But, not only do I want the fight to be memorable, but I want the arena to be memorable. (We're playing on Roll20 mind you, so I have a lot at my disposal, and I have Dungeondraft for making my own maps if needed).

So, what things about the map/area make encounters particularly memorable? I definitely don't want this to just be a big open field. I want stuff going on. I want things to be dynamic. But the adventure doesn't give me many ideas. What makes things harder for me is that the players will have some control on where they engage the final boss.

So, toss out your ideas for epic final encounters. Doesn't have to be for mine. If you've got any maps to show off, show them off. Share your stories about final fights.

Shiroiken

Legend
Areas that provide difficult terrain and cover are optimal, especially if they exist for both sides (baring an ambush). A few areas that provide full cover allow for stealth options during combat, as well as a place for casters to retreat to. Multiple elevations provide different tactical options, and often constrict movement. For a truly epic encounter, add hazardous terrain that can damage, disable, or even kill creatures (traps, cliff edge, lava flow, etc.).

rgoodbb

Adventurer
A Disaster. Something flooding or burning or falling etc.

Different heights for the chandelier swingers, Monks, teleporters or wall-crawlers

Attacks coming from every direction including burrowing/earth-gliding and flying creatures

An NPC that the party is fond of in peril

Plenty of improvised weapon choices

Moving parts: floating rocks/demolition wrecking balls etc

Water and water grapplers

Shifting maze-walls that could split the party every round

Anti-Magic areas

Anti Healing Areas

Teleport Squares

Monoliths that generate Magic items on the top every round

A fight that is happening on two planes at the same time?

A toxic gas that has a random movement across the battlefield

A Bar...

TheSword

Legend
My preference would be these folks…

I think they are the best map makers on the internet currently for VTT. I include the published maps in products in that judgement.

Their Patreon includes the entire back catalogue and they have alternatives for all the maps in different area. I don’t think you can do better for an end of boss fight.

So, what things about the map/area make encounters particularly memorable?
The payoff. Often we can't predict the most memorable encounter in a campaign. Sometimes it's when the dice have failed everyone and put the PCs on the back foot from the first round. Other times it's a Nat '20' or a failed save that ends the boss fight too soon. We don't know what it's going to be. But more often than not it's the payoff, the denouement of a story the comes to life in a single encounter, thus completing what the players have worked so hard to achieve. Many of my friends will still talk about campaigns I ran over a decade ago where there was an epic battle between the PCs (or a single PC) and the BBEG, because I shaped my campaign around that inevitable encounter.

Oofta

Legend
I had a map that was on a giant set of gears each interlinked. Every round, the gears turned, some more than others as gears do. To do this, I printed out the grids on paper and then cut them out. Took a few pieces of paper and some tape, but it was quite dynamic. There were even spots where the gears meshed so you had to think ahead a bit to avoid being crushed.

Remove ads