What makes for a good Early 1E module?

Valiant

First Post
Iv'e been trying to come to grips with coming up with a good list, but am a bit stumped.
So far, I'd say:
1. it has to have a good old fashioned dungeon map. and big enough to fill a page at least.
2. that at least 70% of the module should consist of exploring that dungeon (or equiv. such as a lost city).
3. Expressive and interesting text. No body could write like Gary Gygax. His description of ruins and places were fantastic, and really peaked your imagination.
4. Text Boxes (the ones you read to your PC instead of summarizing it for them). I think these were best left out. THey seemed to act too much like cruches for the lazy DM.
5. Minimal Story. The players should be able to create there own, rather then follow along the module writers.

Do you old schoolers agree with these, if not why? What else made those early 1E modules so destinct?

Ideally, the dunegon map should be cross-linked enough to provide multiple possible paths through the dungeon, so that every time the party goes to explore, they find something new.

There should be some memorable NPCs (though they only get a few minor lines of explanation)

Throw in a few oddly placed but highly lethal traps, the occasional bizarrely random bit of treasure (+3 dwarvenm thrower in the corner, anyone?), a new monster or two, and a new magic item or two, and you're there.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

Layout.

Nice clean layouts, simple monochrome maps (I'll even give the isometric maps a nod); none of trying to make it look like an old scroll, or cram little "map bites" off in one corner of the page.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
thedungeondelver said:

Layout.

Nice clean layouts, simple monochrome maps (I'll even give the isometric maps a nod); none of trying to make it look like an old scroll, or cram little "map bites" off in one corner of the page.

Oh, and 10 foot squares.

Cheers!

Remove ads