D&D General What module should I run to make new friends in a new place?

Divine2021

Adventurer
Soooooo got a question for you all. I’m moving to a new area of the United States where my wife has gotten her dream job. I don’t know anyone where I’m going, but I believe that DnD can bring people together. So, if you were to run a module etc to make new friends in a new place, what module would you pick?

Oofta

Legend
I've done much the same thing, but I do homebrew campaigns so that may not be much help. However, I find that if you post something (I use meetup) people will come. So just decide on some basics of the type of game you want to run and give people a general idea of what kind of campaign you run. For example I don't want evil PCs and try to strike a balance between role playing and combat while frequently running city campaigns. If you're more into running dungeon delves, or anything else, let people know. You also need to decide if you're only interested in only experienced players, if newbies are allowed and so on.

As far as specific modules, I'd just pick one I was comfortable running. LMoP is a good one, and might be interesting to run if you're interested in the new extended version coming out. I don't know if you've started up a new group before, but it is fairly typical to have a bit of turnover right away so if it happens don't get discouraged.

I've found running games to be one of the best ways to meet people, so good luck!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Soooooo got a question for you all. I’m moving to a new area of the United States where my wife has gotten her dream job. I don’t know anyone where I’m going, but I believe that DnD can bring people together. So, if you were to run a module etc to make new friends in a new place, what module would you pick?
Depends on if it is people new to D&D, or just new people. Lost Mines of Phandelver is classic.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Lost Mine of Phandelver is an excellent module. But it isn't a one-shot.

For meeting new folks, there's something to be said for running a one-shot session, with its much lower commitment, to find folks and then ask them if they want to play something longer.

I unfortunately don't have a specific recommendation for a one-shot.

Voadam

Legend
Investigations and light horror are usually pretty good IMO because they are usually focused on storylines with evocative exploring and interactions with occasional combat, although you have to watch out for over the top deadliness in combat (some Call of Cthulhu type scenarios) or offputting gore horror.

In college in the 90s 2e era I guest DM'd a long one-shot for a friend's D&D group using the Ravenloft module RQ1 Night of the Walking Dead and it was a great success and turned into the start of a year-long weekly campaign and the group turned into a solid group of friends for me. If you are up for conversions it is worth considering.

The Freeport Trilogy from 3e/3.5 was a Cthulhu investigation/Pirate city themed D&D adventure that works pretty well and has a 5e conversion for the first module in the trilogy. I ran the first module in both 3.5 and Pathfinder 1e and it is fun.

Divine2021

Adventurer
Thank you all for the recommendations, keep ‘em coming. It can be one shots, short campaigns, anything really—I’m looking to build relationships in both the short and long term.

Remove ads