• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What monster should I use?

Ravilah

Explorer
I am sending my players into an ancient, abandoned Elven city. A 1000 years ago, the elves had firendly relations with the dwarves living nearby (the city is in a mountain valley), and the dwarves helped them carve their city into the mountainside. Well, now the city is nothing but lifeless stone, and all the trees that the elves planted have become petrified. So the environment is a large walled city, with lots of crumbling buildings and petrified trees giving it something of a maze-like feel. (The party, by the way, is level 7).

What I would like is some sort of monster to be stalking them amongst the ruins; a continuous threat that hampers their exploration of the city (but doesn't drive them away screaming) but that won't be just fought and dealt with all at once. I have overused undead at this point, so I need something of another type. Any suggestions from creative DMs would be extremely welcome!

Thanks,
R

cmanos

First Post
Hmm, I'd have to dig out the monster manuals and look. I have an idea of something they catch glimpses out of the corners of their eye, hear skittering rocks, see shadows. Basically make them totally paranoid. Maybe get them to blow off some good spells on nothing. THEN you spriong it on them.

One at a time thet get picked off somehow. The last guy in line disappears. Valarius goes to shake hands with the senator and doesn't come back, only thing left is his codpiece.

Only when there is one guy left do you reveal it as a kobold with a paring knife....

Pinotage

Explorer
You could even use simple goblins effectively for this. Archers in the petrified trees, ambushes in narrow sections of streets, charging wolf-riders, traps, etc. Low-level critters but a constant annoyance, and dangerous in big numbers.

Pinotage

Aust Diamondew

First Post
He said NO undead. Last I checked groaning spirits and banshee are undead. Use some sorta fey that either is evil or has become evil because of the corruption at this place. If you have MMIII use some of those Redcap thingys with the scythes (max out their hide and movesilently skills if they aren't already). If you only have acess to the original MM just use an evil pixies with several levels of rogue. Don't be afraid to make the monster a slightly higher CR that the party if you're only going to use one critter.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Stone Golem? It fits with the theme. It was used back then to guard the city (or some part thereof) but with much of the city gone, its patterns seem illogical, without any system in them.

It will chase the party away, but not right out of the area, just a little way. Then, it continues its endless patrols.

What about an ethereal marauder, or some other such monster that can effectively attack and then disappear? With the proper usage, that could ratchet up the paranoia level of the game.

Li Shenron

Legend
Perhaps some sort of stone creature such as a gargoyle or caryatid column, who was given birth from a statue by the lingering magic of elven spells cast long ago. Such a creature may be difficult to spot simply because it would constantly "merge" with the stony environment, maybe through some limited shapechanging ability.

One option could be to use a mimic with an earth (half-)elemental template, and let it be able to polymorph only into stone-like objects including a piece of wall :)

diaglo

Adventurer
Aust Diamondew said:
He said NO undead. Last I checked groaning spirits and banshee are undead. Use some sorta fey that either is evil or has become evil because of the corruption at this place. If you have MMIII use some of those Redcap thingys with the scythes (max out their hide and movesilently skills if they aren't already). If you only have acess to the original MM just use an evil pixies with several levels of rogue. Don't be afraid to make the monster a slightly higher CR that the party if you're only going to use one critter.

Ladies and Gents, let's please do without the personal slams. - Henry

even though, he may be tired of undead and his party too. they still make perfect sense for the encounter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads