D&D 5E What Monsters got nerfed from early D&D/AD&D to now/5e

CapnZapp

Legend
Yeah, more things straight out immune or resistant.

Damage Resistance towards magic weapons is a joke: Once you have a magic weapon, don't worry about it, you got everything...
Yes, the rules desperately needs varying levels of magic resistance.

I had to create a house-rule to cover this obvious gap in the rules:

Monsters of CR 0-9 work as written.
Monsters of CR 10-19 have resistance unless your weapon is +2
Monsters of CR 20- have resistance unless your weapon is +3.

"Monster" here means critters with the damage resistance (or immunity) to blunt, piercing or slashing damage from weapons ability.

Mycroft

Banned
Banned
Yes, the rules desperately needs varying levels of magic resistance.

I had to create a house-rule to cover this obvious gap in the rules:

Monsters of CR 0-9 work as written.
Monsters of CR 10-19 have resistance unless your weapon is +2
Monsters of CR 20- have resistance unless your weapon is +3.

"Monster" here means critters with the damage resistance (or immunity) to blunt, piercing or slashing damage from weapons ability.

Cool, but the problem is introducing +X weapons into the game; the PCs have it easy enough to hit the monsters as it is (same with magic armour, in the reverse).

CapnZapp

Legend
Cool, but the problem is introducing +X weapons into the game; the PCs have it easy enough to hit the monsters as it is (same with magic armour, in the reverse).
You can't seriously think the best solution to that problem is "let's keep damage resistance to weapons useless and irrelevant"...?

If you think it's too easy, how about you the DM instead...
... use higher-CR monsters...?
... just slap an overall +2 AC to all monsters...?
...make player characters use a basic standard array when creating characters (less good than the default; certainly not rolling dice)

...just to think of three ideas from the top of my mind...

CapnZapp

Legend
Hahahaha, what the hell are you talking about?
Since you apparently have a short memory:

Yeah, more things straight out immune or resistant.

Damage Resistance towards magic weapons is a joke: Once you have a magic weapon, don't worry about it, you got everything...

To which I posted a house-rule:
https://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?p=7644575#post7644575

To which you responded:

Hope that jogs your memory.

Mycroft

Banned
Banned

Given that “+”s tend to be an unreliable indicator of relative power in 5e, with a flame tongue having no “+”s but probably in the same power ballpark as a +2 weapon, I might suggest going with rarity rather than “+”s when setting minimums. That’s assuming using the 5e defaults for that sort of thing.

I do agree that resistance can be irrelevant *fast*. We have two characters who were eldritch blast focused (one of which has now switched to pact of the blade weapon focus, so same benefit), one character with a magic weapon, and another character with fire bolt (and leveled spells) as a backup. That leaves only 2 characters in our party of five without some ability to ignore weapon resistance from their class at first level, and by fourth we had a couple magic weapons, so everyone can ignore it.

Undead, definitely. But to be honest, I am fine with the removal of their level-draining abilities. Even back then, I “nerfed” it myself by just having them do a ton of damage instead. I think I only used level-draining once on a PC when I was feeling irritated with them. After that I realized it was a very un-fun mechanic.

Mycroft

Banned
Banned
Undead, definitely. But to be honest, I am fine with the removal of their level-draining abilities. Even back then, I “nerfed” it myself by just having them do a ton of damage instead. I think I only used level-draining once on a PC when I was feeling irritated with them. After that I realized it was a very un-fun mechanic.

Yeah, it's odd for PCs to rather square up to a Pit Fiend, than a Wight.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases