D&D 5E What new linages do you want?

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Say I want to play a flying octopus that can breathe air, and has the ability to manifest all physical attacks psionically, and its species came from outer space, so naturally, said octopus has a space ship to whisk the players to other planets, and also, use lasers on the ship to fight space battles. Is that still D&D?
But this is distilled essence of 12-year old, cranked up to 11, with sprinkles on top!
Stuff like this probably happened in more than a few Expedition to the Barrier Peaks games back in the day.

Last edited:

It is, in effect, a slippery-slope argument. It plays on fear of the hypothetical end result to make that result sound likely, without having to actually demonstrate or logically support how likely it is.
Thin edge of the wedge, slippery slope....call it what you will. The logic is sound, and we all have witnessed it happen. Much of Tasha's is a perfect example of that.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
This thread reminds me of 5th Grade when we were voting on what flavors of ice cream to have at a class party. After most of the class voted for their favorites, my friend A raised his hand and said, "Why don't we just have fruit? It's nature's candy."

There was a long pause, and our teacher said, "We are going to have ice cream."

I loved my friend A, but even I thought that was too much.

Coming into a thread about wonderful ice cream flavors just to say everyone should eat fruit instead... Seems a little silly!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The logic is sound...

The slippery slope is generally classified as a logical fallacy. The logic isn't sound, because there's no logic, per se. There is a chain of scenarios that one asserts will happen with significant probability, but without support for the assertion, or source for probabilities. Fear or anxiety of the end state is used to motivate the audience to accept the assertion, without substantial support.

Your personal experience is anecdote, not data, and so isn't significant support in this situation.

Remove ads