D&D 4E What 'new' rules would you like to see in 4e?

Doug McCrae

Legend
1) Chases and other dramatic scenes that aren't fights.
2) Dials or alternate rules to switch between high/low magic, high/low 'realism', magic systems without the arcane/divine split, etc.

MaelStorm

First Post
Since I did not play D&D 3.5, but did play AD&D 2E about 15-20 years ago, I'm sure I'll be happy with 4E. I know it won't be as flexible as I'd want it to be, but I'll live with it.

So far, it looks quite promising.

ON THE UP SIDE
  • The changes they're doing with the class system, to make them more integrated, balanced, and malleable are really what convinced me to buy into D&D 4E. (3.5 looked anarchic and too strict to me)
  • The trap and encounter system are definitely one of the best improvements.

ON THE DOWNSIDE
  • The combat system, even if it's simpler, faster, and less static (which isn't a bad idea) is one of the aspect that will need to be house ruled and improved I think. I'll try it as it is, but I'm not impressed so far.

EDIT: I realize I'm a bit off topic, sorry about that...

Last edited:

WyzardWhately

First Post
Looks like the Spycraft dramatic conflict-type rules are pretty popular. Actually, I would be a pretty big fan of something like that. Multiple skill checks abstracting investigations, infiltration, travel, chases, etc. That would add a lot to the game at a relatively low page count, if they were so inclined.

DamnedChoir

First Post
I've never really felt that a dex modifier to AC was ever that big a thing to lose. Aside from rogues, it had what effect? Most monsters or NPC's have maybe +1 or +2 from Dex to their AC at the most.

So basically a surprise round is that you get a round to move to charge and attack a single opponent who has lost 1-2 points of AC?

I've never seen anyone but a rogue really care about things like that. (Unless, of course, they were fighting casters. Even then, though, it's a very small benefit.)

Lackhand

First Post
DamnedChoir said:
I've never really felt that a dex modifier to AC was ever that big a thing to lose. Aside from rogues, it had what effect? Most monsters or NPC's have maybe +1 or +2 from Dex to their AC at the most.

So basically a surprise round is that you get a round to move to charge and attack a single opponent who has lost 1-2 points of AC?

I've never seen anyone but a rogue really care about things like that. (Unless, of course, they were fighting casters. Even then, though, it's a very small benefit.)
Really? I call dibs on an extra round of posting a rebuttal to your post.

Lackhand

First Post
And this time, I full attack, making more than one point.

And if I win initiative, you're still flat footed versus this. You don't get to take attacks of opportunity, and my friends and I get into excellent flanking positions.

Now is a time to take all those actions that normally provoke AoO, or, since you're a fighter and don't have any, charge in and full attack with relative impunity, avoiding enemy reach on the way in.

Surprise rounds suck for the surprised. They could suck more, but then squishy humans who need lights would be really unfairly penalized.

Edit: Doug, remember to claim your +2 to "demonstrate objective falsity" checks. :p

Last edited:

Doug McCrae

Legend
DamnedChoir said:
Even then, though, it's a very small benefit.
It's massive. Actions are like diamonds in D&D. A fight lasts around 5 rounds (ours often last 2-3). Getting an extra round is very good. Getting an extra round before your opponents get to act is super good, giving you a chance to cast save-or-dies, save-or-sucks (such as glitterdust), battlefield control or vital buffs like haste, any of which can practically win a fight on their own.

Cadfan

First Post
The problem with surprise rounds in 3e is that the fighter is usually limited to a standard attack. Which, while not useless, is not particularly amazing.

Tome of Battle fixes this by giving you useful things to do with a standard action.

4e will be an entirely different ball game, thanks to the removal of iterative attacks. Rebalancing the game to assume standard attacks are the norm may fix this problem automatically.

Rechan

Adventurer
Flaws, background benefits, and stunts.

Daggers are deadly in their own right.

Unarmed combat/options for an unarmed warrior. Preferably one who isn't a kung-fu mystic.

Spirits (ala Kami), how to handle them, and a class like a shaman that deals with them and draws magic from them.

A blue mage style "I steal your power".

Chase mechanics.

Incenjucar

Legend
Vehicle/Steed/Engine rules for those of us who don't do 90% of our adventuring in dungeons. I'd love for mounted combat to be something that could be treated as a -normal- thing to do for all classes. Obviously, rogues wouldn't be at their best on horseback... until they started leaping from their saddle into the enemy's saddle for sweet sweet stabbing. And, of course, gotta have a wizard riding golem-back for a drive-by Fireball.

3D combat. We have flight, we have swimming, we have things somewhere in between, like mobile terrain (there had better be mobile terrain). When I first saw the virtual tabletop, the first question I asked was "Will this be 3D for aerial combat?" and I was greatly saddened when the answer was no. But the rules need to support it and plan for it.

Remove ads