D&D 4E What 'new' rules would you like to see in 4e?

VorpalWarrior69

First Post
Similar to the "Fighting Styles" request...I just want some sort of mechanical differentiation between weapons that makes it worthwhile to use less popular weapons (i.e. not longsword, bastard sword, greataxe). If there isn't room for separate feats or effects for each weapon, then I'm inclined to just make all weapons do d8 so that someone in my game will finally use a javelin, mace, spear, etc...

WyzardWhately

First Post
Kzach said:
4) Fighting styles: classic example in fiction is that of Bronn the Sellsword in A Song of Ice & Fire where he takes on Ser Vardis Egen, a knight in full plate and heavy sword, with leather armour, a longsword and a wooden shield... and wins.

I agree with what you're saying here (I think it may be adequately represented by level, PC-ness, action points, and strokes of luck with the dice, but I kind of dig what you're saying.) That said, I JUST STARTED reading A Clash of Kings, and I would prefer not to have read that, if you catch my drift.

The Little Raven

First Post
Hella_Tellah said:
I like the WoD method of giving an experience point whenever a flaw hurts you in play.

Way better than the "I get 7 extra bonus points for taking Flaws that will never affect me!" method of the previous Storyteller games.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Hmm... Lets see, I would like to see:

Chase Mechanics: There isn't a real feel or sense of tension/action with the old rules. I would really like to see chase mechanics done in a way that each chase is different and unique.

Better Mounted/Vehicle Mechanics: Parts of this should work into Chase Mechanics as well as well as show off the benefits/hazards of being mounted/in a vehicle, ie: being hard to stop on a dime.

Flaws/Psychological Effects: Not every hero is 6'5" and has Iron Will. Many heroes have flaws both physically and mentally, ie: Raistilin. I would love too see as well rules garnering Morality/Psychological effects, similar to the Storytelling system.

Better Battlefield/Mental Effects: I would love to see better mechanics for things like being stunned, frightened, stumbling, wounded, etc.

Fighting Styles: Actual Fighting Styles, perhaps as minor-paths one could take. Different from ordinary feats, so possibly taken on the side. They would be something you invest into, so... Perhaps it comes straight out of your XP (this could be roleplayed as after training you take out of your XP (you gained from training) to learn the next level of that Fighting Style). The amount of XP needed would go up as they become more powerful.

Stunt Rules: Skill Tricks were a nice-try but I would like to see stunts more solidly integrated into the rules. Perhaps it could be worked be certain Stunts have a DC to do them, this DC could be bonused by the proper attribute + skill attributed to the Stunt.

All I can think of right now.

Remove ads