What NON-D&D fantasy art got you hooked?

I remember the old ads for Skyrealms of Jorune being really evocative for me.

1594766597424.png

And lots of Tolkien calendar art, especially Alan Lee and John Howe.

1594766677869.png

1594766806450.png

I'm a second-generation Tolkien fan. My mother took me to the British High Commission when I was, like, 6 years old? To watch this film.

Later, she passed me her original LOTR trilogy to read...

The_Lord_of_the_Rings_%281978%29.jpg

aramis erak

Legend
In the other thread, I talk about what D&D art really nails down what D&D means to you. By contrast, this thread is about what non-D&D fantasy art got you hooked line and sinker into fantasy, and drawn to rpgs in general. Most of us probably saw some fantasy art we were immediately drawn to before we saw and played RPGs. I'd love to see what that was for folks.
None. I don't care for most fantasy artwork, especially not that in the books when I started gaming... AD&D.

I play fantasy games in spite of the art, not because of it.

Also, I don't generally like fantasy novels, nor fantasy movies, unless they're space themed. Star Wars may be fantasy in space, but its not what I do in fantasy RPGs.

The big exception being the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

I mean, I grew up hearing how good CS Lewis' Narnia was, but until I had to teach it, I hadn't read it.

I grew up with readings from The Egyptian Book of the Dead, The Iliad, The Odyssey, a wide variety of bible story adaptations, and anthropology and mythology from source works, academic texts, and popular books.

My visions of fantasy are informed as much by recovered artefacts as the illustrations and reconstructions.

Sacrosanct

Legend
None. I don't care for most fantasy artwork, especially not that in the books when I started gaming... AD&D.

I play fantasy games in spite of the art, not because of it.

Also, I don't generally like fantasy novels, nor fantasy movies, unless they're space themed. Star Wars may be fantasy in space, but its not what I do in fantasy RPGs.

The big exception being the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

I mean, I grew up hearing how good CS Lewis' Narnia was, but until I had to teach it, I hadn't read it.

I grew up with readings from The Egyptian Book of the Dead, The Iliad, The Odyssey, a wide variety of bible story adaptations, and anthropology and mythology from source works, academic texts, and popular books.

My visions of fantasy are informed as much by recovered artefacts as the illustrations and reconstructions.
Well, then clearly this thread isn't for you.

aramis erak

Legend
Well, then clearly this thread isn't for you.
I do, however, like fantasy games... tho' I prefer Pendragon, L5R, and several others to anything D&D derived. Many of my very munchkined early adventures were grounded in Greco-Roman mythology and Greco-Roman archaeological imagery.

Remove ads