• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What non-"essential" characters do you play?

Shadus

First Post
Bleak Disciple Assassin (my favourite class ever)

Agreed. The only thing is the game I have him in is an all Striker team, so I rarely get more than 2 shrouds on anything before it dies. :(

I DM mostly, and my PCs lean heavily on PH1. Except the Voidsoul Gensai Swordmage.

Ryujin

Legend
No one, in our group, plays any Essentials character.

I have two.

The first is an Eladrin Fey/Dark Warlock with Bard multiclass, via both Bardic Dilettante and Bardic Ritualist feats. He uses either a +3 Longsword of Summer or a +5 Shadowfell Blade Longsword in his primary hand, as his implement, and either a +1 Rod of Corruption or a +4 Pact Blade Dagger in his off hand, as the mood strikes him. His familiar "Puck", a little Fey fellow who is a refluffed Disembodied Hand, takes care of such quibbles that are beneath my character's station.

He goes by the name Faceless, when travelling abroad, as he's only ever been seen without his mask once outside of the group, at a rather dramatic dressing-down in front of the council of Overlook. It was our Cleric, who was dressing-down the council. He's an exiled noble, of the Summer Court, who is about 500xp away from becoming The Prince of Summer (either as a Radiant One or Prince of Hell; I haven't decided yet).

The second is a 5th level Changeling Cunning Bard, with Warlord multiclass, who goes by the name Stitch. He was rescued from a Drow war party by Eladrins, then kept as an entertaining pet in The Court of Stars. He favours an Echoing Songblade Scimitar +2, +2 Screaming Hide Armour, and a light shield. Despite having better attacks he frequently prefers to annoy opponents, by using Staggering Note, allowing another party member to paste them. Stitch just being in the room and visible gives other party members +7 damage on a hit when spending an action point (or 3 temp hp on a miss), if they're willing to give up CA. When in public, he has only been seen as an Elf, or Eladrin, though the party have seen his true form.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
We do have one guy in the group playing an Essentials character- a hman Warpriest. Seems to be pretty effective standing shoulder to shoulder with our Dwarven Fighter.

And with the exception of my PC who is multiclassed into Psion, everyone is solidly based out of PHB1.

Istar

First Post
Goliath Warden, with a Striker Emphathis.
Quite cool to deal damage equal to the Barbarian, but can also tank as well.

Actually a neat part group mix.
Goliath Twins up front - Warden / Barbarian.
Two ladies at the back - Teifling Warlock / Kalaster Cleric.
In the middle - Human Monk (Chinese) / Half Elf Ardent.

Grydan

First Post
Heh, other than Cleric, I've played every one of those "essential" classes you list at least once (assuming PHB Wizard and Rogue for Magic-User and Thief).

Almost every single character I've played is on that list, with one significant exception:

Human Tactical Warlord. Started at level 5, died at level 6. I enjoyed playing him, for the most part, though Leader is not my preferred role. Died in Thunderspire Labyrinth in the clutches of the Phalagar, alongside the party's Warlock. The party's pre-errata Battlerager Fighter made it through the fight without losing a single real hitpoint.

The warlord's replacement, a halfling rogue, lasted for about three encounters before dying. He was replaced by a Dragonborn Barbarian who outlived the campaign, and later moved on to do the first chunk of the Tomb of Horrors, which he also survived. He remains alive, somewhere.

I also briefly played a monk for about three sessions of an Encounters season, before he bit the dust. Or had his mind consumed by thoughteaters. Something like that. Fun while it lasted, though my dice-luck was abominable with him. Missed constantly, failed saves, failed skill checks.

Most of the characters that I really want to play (and have built as either back-ups to current characters, or as "just in case an appropriate campaign comes along...") fall on your essential list, though I would like to eventually play a Bard and a Warlock.

----

To answer the question many seem to be answering, rather than the one you asked ("Essential" might have been the wrong word to choose...), I have yet to play as an Essentials character. I would like to try a few of the subclasses, though. Thief, Slayer, and Knight all look worth a try to me. Even Mage looks like it might be interesting, and I really didn't enjoy playing a Wizard last time I tried.

In the campaign I play in, one player currently plays a Slayer while another plays a Hexblade. I and the other two players play pre-Essentials classes.

In the campaign I DM, only one player has played an Essentials class, and it's his current Warpriest, who is about an encounter and a half into his existence.

Last edited:

erleni

First Post
Agreed. The only thing is the game I have him in is an all Striker team, so I rarely get more than 2 shrouds on anything before it dies. :(

I DM mostly, and my PCs lean heavily on PH1. Except the Voidsoul Gensai Swordmage.

I'm currently playing a crit-based epic assassin. It's a bit swingy but it often puts down monsters before other strikers can act.

Remove ads