D&D 5E What of the already done settings do you think WotC is revisiting for a Setting Book?

What of the already done settings do you think WotC is revisiting for a Setting Book?

• Forgotten Realms

Votes: 87 72.5%
  • Eberron

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Ravnica

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Theros

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Strixhaven

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Exandia

Votes: 18 15.0%

None of the above. The revisited one should be something not updated since 4E and the revived classics should be ones not updated since 3.0, or maybe even 2E. So revisited may be Dark Sun because it had a 4E version. Of course, the problem with the revisited setting is that Ray said of the two new settings and the one revisited setting, not all of them may make it to being published. The only thing he guaranteed is the two classic settings will be published.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I personally don't expect Eberron, because the next most popular part of the world after Khorvaire is Xen'drik... and that land is pretty analogous to Chult and what we already saw and got in Tomb of Annihilation so it'd be kind of a repeat... plus we already have a complete Xen'drik book for 3.5 so you'd basically be duplicating the details of an entire book for no real additional reason.

I also do not believe Greyhawk falls under the "returning" category (even with the couple GoS adventures there), because to me instead it feels more like it would be one of the "classic" settings he talked about (were it to be done at all.)

By the same token, to me, using the term "returning" feels weird if it indeed was referencing the third continent of Exandria... because while it is a return to that planet... it's an actual area that nobody has ever been to (other than the players in CR in a bunch of episodes, but none of it has been written down.) This is all just verbal semantics, granted... but I feel like going to Issylra would more fall under "new setting", the same way doing Greyhawk feels like "classic setting".

Which is why my impression of a "returning" setting would either be a "Domains of Delight" book for the Feywild that mirrors the Ravenloft book (and we'd be "returning" to it following Witchlight)... or we'd go to a specific location of Faerun-- one with a specific type or genre of fantasy and story. So it wouldn't be a book about the entire continent... but rather one small section with a particular style. Like an Underdark setting book (building off of Out of the Abyss)... or a Cormyr book with a 'knights in shining armor' / strongholds and followers type of stylistic choice... or a Moonshae Isles feywild-esque book (adapting and building up off of everything Baldman Games has made for it thus far.) And I mean you could even go so far as to say Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim or Maztica, although again from a semantic POV that doesn't feel like we would be "returning" to them per se (even though they are all on the planet of Toril.)

But really, who knows how they are all defining them. So we'll have to see.

I personally don't expect Eberron, because the next most popular part of the world after Khorvaire is Xen'drik... and that land is pretty analogous to Chult and what we already saw and got in Tomb of Annihilation so it'd be kind of a repeat... plus we already have a complete Xen'drik book for 3.5 so you'd basically be duplicating the details of an entire book for no real additional reason.

I also do not believe Greyhawk falls under the "returning" category (even with the couple GoS adventures there), because to me instead it feels more like it would be one of the "classic" settings he talked about (were it to be done at all.)

By the same token, to me, using the term "returning" feels weird if it indeed was referencing the third continent of Exandria... because while it is a return to that planet... it's an actual area that nobody has ever been to (other than the players in CR in a bunch of episodes, but none of it has been written down.) This is all just verbal semantics, granted... but I feel like going to Issylra would more fall under "new setting", the same way doing Greyhawk feels like "classic setting".

Which is why my impression of a "returning" setting would either be a "Domains of Delight" book for the Feywild that mirrors the Ravenloft book (and we'd be "returning" to it following Witchlight)... or we'd go to a specific location of Faerun-- one with a specific type or genre of fantasy and story. So it wouldn't be a book about the entire continent... but rather one small section with a particular style. Like an Underdark setting book (building off of Out of the Abyss)... or a Cormyr book with a 'knights in shining armor' / strongholds and followers type of stylistic choice... or a Moonshae Isles feywild-esque book (adapting and building up off of everything Baldman Games has made for it thus far.) And I mean you could even go so far as to say Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim or Maztica, although again from a semantic POV that doesn't feel like we would be "returning" to them per se (even though they are all on the planet of Toril.)

But really, who knows how they are all defining them. So we'll have to see.

Agreed your logic is mostly sound, although I'd argue your reasoning in regards to CR's third continent having never been visited before applies to the Domains of Delight (Witchlight isn't out yet).

That leaves FR, the Throughbred of Settings.

I shouldn't have put the MtG settings in as Ray himself disqualified them in his tweet, but since Ravnica has a vote I will leave it.

"Jun 14

Replying to

@WinningerR

In addition to these two titles, we have two brand new #DND settings in early development, as well as a return to a setting we've already covered. (No, these are not M:tG worlds.) (3/4)"

None of the above. The revisited one should be something not updated since 4E and the revived classics should be ones not updated since 3.0, or maybe even 2E. So revisited may be Dark Sun because it had a 4E version. Of course, the problem with the revisited setting is that Ray said of the two new settings and the one revisited setting, not all of them may make it to being published. The only thing he guaranteed is the two classic settings will be published.

It can't be none of the above, anything outside that list would be a first visit, not a revisit.

Shiroiken

Legend
Credit to Trash Mob Minis, but this sums it up best.

EGNx0YHU0AAybIU.jpg

aco175

Legend
I would likely buy a FR book, but not some of the others. Maybe a Greyhawk or Dragonlance- but not the others. Not sure if I am like a lot of others that Hasbro is looking at to keep buying FR stuff or if they want the so called 'core group' to buy other settings.

I know that they want us to buy them, but I will not and so does this fact make them more or less need to make a FR book once in a while.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
4E would be a classic Setting, not a revisit as described.

Remove ads