D&D (2024) What older setting do you want to see next?

Which older D&D setting would you like to see next?

• Greyhawk

Votes: 33 26.2%
  • Mystara

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Birthright

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Ghostwalk

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Nentir Vale/Nerath/Points of Light

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • Other (please specify in post)

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 27 21.4%

• Poll closed .
Ideally I'd love to see Dark Sun (along with a psion class). However I'm not sure that 5e could handle the topics involved in the setting so maybe it's best to avoid it.

G

Guest 7034872

Now that we know Planescape is coming, I voted for both Greyhawk and Dark Sun (technically listed as <Other>), but with the proviso that I want them only on condition that neither they nor Planescape are treated the way Spelljammer apparently was. A proper campaign setting is large, robust, detailed, and robustly imaginative; it need not include any "starter" adventures or even any explicit adventure hooks, but writers who want to include such certainly can. The setting itself, though, needs to be as expansive and encompassing as the world it describes. DM screens are cute, fun, and useful (assuming essential charts, maps, etc. are on their interiors), but they do not count as part of the setting.

I want a return to the true campaign setting; give me those and I'll be happy.

Aldarc

Legend
Does he work on official products now? I thought he just did the Youtube interviews for them. And what about him leads you to think this?
The Heroes of the Vale campaign he ran. More precisely, Mearls started the Heroes of the Vale campaign with some controversial changes to the setting. Mearls-related drama happened. Todd Kendreck took over and then over the course of the campaign he basically killed the Nentir Vale and moved the heroes to the Forgotten Realms instead.

Birthright for the epic play!!
Exactly this. Look, the best way to used settings for me is to fill genre slots. Don't care for Ravenloft as a setting, but want tools for Horror? Van Richten has some things for you. Have an elaborate social setting but want some simple rules for framework? Take a look into Stryxhaven. Epic DnD is always a niche setting. But it should be covered in every edition in some capacity. Making it a setting improves the chance people will take a look and gives a setting for those who need one.

Remove ads