D&D (2024) What older setting do you want to see next?

Which older D&D setting would you like to see next?

• Greyhawk

Votes: 33 26.2%
  • Mystara

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Birthright

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Ghostwalk

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Nentir Vale/Nerath/Points of Light

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • Other (please specify in post)

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 27 21.4%

• Poll closed .

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Are you truly operating under the assumption that, because  you don't think it's an issue, there can't possibly be enough people out there who do for it to make a difference?
No.

I don't know what you and a handful of others are hoping for in this thread, but it's extremely strange.

Are you hoping to sway everyone around to the extremely odd idea that there will soon be no villains in D&D because someone at ComicBook.com said you can't have slavery in a D&D book?

You have to know that's a silly position to be taking.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Retroactively. It was its own thing originally and it works fine as a standalone setting.

That said, WotC already has Phandelver as their (mostly) standalone starting setting and they're tripling down on it with next year's campaign book. I don't think there's a convincing pitch to make to WotC about Thunder Rift. (Again, just open it up on DMs Guild, WotC.)
Not retroactive

Colin McComb say that it was always intended to be in the mountains near Karameikos, but was also designed to be dropped into any setting as a GM tutorial

Honestly I think that Mystara may be the answer to the modern morale conundrum of RPGS.

It uses a idea core to Warhammer 40K success, that there are no good guys. That there are just the polilitics and philisophies of a weird bunch of historical analogies. Good races and Evil races was always a dumb RPG trope and are very much core to post Tolkien fantasy. The evil race/nation thing always bothered me about Forgotten Realms.

The two global super powers of the Mystaran setting Thyatis and Alphatia are both pretty awful exploitative empires. And even the Immortals manipulating the conflict at the heart of the Wrath of the immortals are not Good/Evil. I think that fantasy emergent from the setting can be explored in a sensative and fun way. Not by arguing for cultutural relativism but by asking players what theyre happy about exploring.

The Isle of Dread( A core mystaran experience) which has a free 5e version knocking around from the 5E D&D Next playtest, could be run incredibly insensitively with racist and colonial tropes. Or it could be played without the bigotry and instead with understanding and treated as a first cultural contact( psuedo europeans meeting psuedo south sea islanders).
You and I are the same. You do not have to sell me about the rich-tapestry that is Mystara and all its RP options.
To be honest I do not care one iota about the modern morale conundrum within RPGs. The loyal fanbase has done a wonderful job with the setting and from my perspective we do not need WotC screaming in to muck it up after all these years, all the while extorting the customer base, and likely initiating twitter rages for those offended.

Orcs of Thar is still the best RPG product of its era
I like it too in that it fleshes out the humanoid clans across the known world, gives us the blue knife backstory (which I fleshed out to be a shard of the Rod of 7 Parts), integrates well with the surrounding territories and provides plenty of humanoid politics and religious conflict.

Despite all that, the best by far has to be the Principalities of Glantri. ;)

Remove ads