What programs do you use when playing on-line?

Ulfgeir

Hero
Discord for voice. (We use some dice-bot for it as well, but not sure which one)
Astral Tabletop if we need more complex stuff (we use that for our Vampire: the Masquerade 5e-campaign. And that is a messy system). We didn't need it for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy or Tianxia.

We were going to play in person the last weekend., but the person we were going to be at felt sick on Friday, so we did it though Discord. Apparently one of the other players visited him during the Sunday's play.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
One game I am in (D&D 5e) uses Roll20 (and its internal audio-video). I use D&D Beyond for my character sheet.

One game (D&D 5e) uses Roll20 and Zoom. The players are mixed using Roll20 and D&D Beyond for character sheets.

A third game (Fate) uses Roll20 and Discord. We are using Roll20 for character sheets.

In the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy game that I'm GMing, I usually have the following open on my laptop:
  1. Video zoom on the laptop screen with all the players. All my other windows are usually on my larger, external screen.
  2. Roll20
  3. GCS (GURPS Character Sheet), a Java-based character app, with PC and NPC sheets
  4. a Google Doc with my adventure notes (such as they are)
  5. a Google Translate tab from English to Icelandic to use to generate names or campaign fluff in our faux viking setting
  6. a couple of spreadsheets that do various things
  7. Adobe Reader with the DFRPG rulebooks for searching (along with the print books scattered around my desk)
  8. often a tab with a scan of the most recent adventure notes from the player side (I have a player who takes great notes)
  9. sometimes a few other docs, wikipedia pages, or google image searches that I might use for various things
Of course all I really need is three dice and another player.

AndromedaRPG

Explorer
We use Discord (voice chat, text for links/pictures/D1-C3 dice-rolling bot) for playing, along with a custom program for the character sheet. That program allows the copy the commands needed to the clipboard, so they can past it into the text channel for the Discord bot.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
In running and playing 5e, my group uses TeamSpeak for voice communication, Tabletop Simulator for maps, dice, initiative, and a lot more. I started using D&D Beyond (I got a 50% off the PHB from someone here who bought the Essentials kit but already purched the PHB), and it started spreading to the rest of the group (D&D Beyond should give me a commision 😄), starting with a friend that I gave my coupon to after I bought the Essentials kit. I found a spreadsheet that creates weather for an entire year and a (in-setting) calendar website and used the two to create a calendar that has weather, temerature, moon phases, and such that I exported to Word (where I also keep my DM notes), I also use a Google Drive account for sharing things (like house rules, handouts, etc.) with the players. There's also an on-line loot generator that I sometimes use.

TL/DR: TeamSpeak, Tabletop Simulator, Firefox (for D&D Beyond, Google Drive, loot generator, searches, etc), Word (for my compiled almanac, DM notes, and random crap). Sometimes I break out Microsoft Jigsaw when the players start taking lots of time debating what overly convoluted plan to use to tackle mundane situation (i.e., Jigsaw is my sanity saver). I also use other things for game prep, but those aren't used during play.

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
When actually playing or running a game, I use Discord and Fantasy Grounds. When prepping, I also use D&D Beyond, which darn it I find incredibly convenient and well designed.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Discord for voice and sometimes video.
Roll20 for maps
DnDBeyond and the Beyond20 plugin for characters and many monsters (when I DM)

Going to try Astral when Beyond20 works with it (next Beyond20 update)....and if I ever get a job or my PDFs make more money, I'll likely try Foundry.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Oh, and dungeondraft to make maps and token stamp2 to make tokens.

I also use 2 monitors....and sometimes my iPad.

Last edited:

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
We use discord for voice and video, Roll20 for the rest. Lately one player is using dndbeyond with the beyond20 extension to send the rolls to roll20.

Remove ads