• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What proportion of your D&D game is combat?

Combat constitutes the following proportion of my typical D&D game:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I voted "all the time", but in truth, I have no idea.

It varies too much.

Last session of my Ulek game was 0%.
Last session of my Red Hand of Doom game was 80%+

However, do you count the descriptions of the rooms where combat takes place as part of combat?

Cheers!

Arkhandus

First Post
Generally around 50% I'd wager. But I use OpenRPG to game online most of the time, so everyone has to type out their actions and stuff, which is a bit slower than speech (at least sometimes), and I have to reference lots of text nodes and macros (and deal with lag on my machine and in my 'net connection). So combat takes a bit longer than normal, but particularly because my players don't often think out their actions in advance. :\ :mad: So I end up answering their questions practically every other turn while they consider at the last moment what they'll actually do that round.

I have occasional sessions with no combat, and occasional sessions with just a short or medium-length battle along with some roleplay. Often, though, combat takes up the majority of a session, and sometimes a chunk of the next session too, with an hour or two of roleplay just beforehand and maybe afterward.

Remove ads