D&D 5E What race for Druid?

daddystabz

Explorer
What race(s) do you all recommend for Druid and what are your overall recommendations for making the most effective Druid I can make? I've never played a Druid before in any edition of D&D.

Paraxis

Explorer
I like wood elf or human(variant) personally for the bonuses.

I like stout halflings because lucky is wonderful and the idea of a little halfling becoming a big bear/dire wolf/giant spider is just very cool.

Sacrosanct

Legend
play whatever race you want that fits the type of character you find most appealing. If you prefer to play D&D based on min/maxing rather than flavor, then I'm afraid I can't provide an answer because I don't play that way.

GameDoc

Explorer
The best race for a Druid is the triathlon. Bike as a human, run as a cheetah, and swim as a marlin. Gold medal all the way. USA! USA! USA!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Hill dwarf is very solid, I feel, but it's hard to get around the extra feat if you can play the human (variant).

jimmyjimjam

First Post
play whatever race you want that fits the type of character you find most appealing. If you prefer to play D&D based on min/maxing rather than flavor, then I'm afraid I can't provide an answer because I don't play that way.

I on the other hand, can recommend something to the OP. Play Fourth Edition.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Most effective? This should probably be moved to Character Optimization.

My recommendation: Human. The variant, that gets you the feat at first level. If playing Point Buy then put your highest stat in Wisdom and your lowest in Strength--who needs Strength when you can wildshape into a bear?

For the feat: I recommend Observant. Wildshaped druids make terrific scouts, and the +5 to Perception and Investigation means you'll spot most every secret door and trap. The feat's +1 Wisdom means your starting Wisdom can be 14 instead of 15: you'll still net out at a 16 Wis (thanks to one of human's +1), and save 2 points in Point Buy.

Criminal is a good background for Druid, as you'll probably have a high Dex. That proficiency in Thieves Tools, and your high Wisdom (and Observant feat) make you an effective alt-thief.

Human Druid
Str 8
Dex 16 (15, +1 from human)
Con 12
Int 14
Wis 16 (14, +1 from human, +1 from Observant feat)
Cha 8

Languages: Common, Druidic, Sylvan (human bonus)
Background: Criminal
Proficiencies: Druid weapons, light armor, medium armor, shield, herbalism kit, thieves tools, gaming set.
Skills: Stealth, Deception, Perception, Nature, Investigation (human bonus). [if allowed, swap Deception for Athletics--this will help with grappling in animal form]

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Wood elf is nice. It gets you a wisdom bonus, longbow proficiency, and bonus speed, which can all come in handy when you are not wildshaped and have to resort to spells and such. I assume you are going moon circle, right?

Ragmon

Explorer

I have to say, I disagree. The fluff can be made to fit any combination (IMO its even more fun to try to make a back-story for a miss-matched race/class/background). But you can't make a optimized character design fit all race/class/background combos.

To the OP.

- Human (variant, you can't o wrong with it)
- Half-Elf (Half-elf, is always a good choice for anything)
- Wood Elf (Its fluffy and crunchy at the same time)
- Hill Dwarf (the one with the +WIS)
- Halfling (The re-roll is always useful)

Remove ads