D&D 5E What race would you pick for Twilight Cleric

DarkMoon250

Explorer
Night time is the right time, especially when you're a holy wonder-worker pledged to a deity of the moon.

My first ever character is coming up, and I'll be playing a Cleric in service to the goddess Sehanine [the prankster and shadowy CR version, not the elf-mom FR version]. I know that Twilight Cleric is the sub I want to play above all, but the amount of races and extra abilities in the game is almost over-whelming, especially since Tasha's made picking races by their ASI's less consequential.

I'm personally interested in the firbolg, kenku, tiefling and tortle. Firbolgs [who I'm sorta leaning towards] have a connection to the Feywild like the MW, maybe focusing on autumn, and the Speech of Beast and Leaf could let me talk to nocturnal animals, and the hidden step is just useful. Kenku give me a whole lot of tricky skills, and they're loss of flight could make the build-up to Steps of Night a fun character building moment. Tieflings [Glasya in particular] gives me a nice resistance and some flavorful illusion spells. And Tortles almost let me get the benefits of some of the bonus proficiencies while not making me invest in Str, and the thought of a man-turtle oozing Twilight Sanctuary and concentration-based spells from inside his shell just seems both funny and useful; plus, the moon and the tides tie into this.

Those are just my thoughts, but I'd love to hear your suggestions so I can come to a decision.

jgsugden

Legend
Go with your gut. There is no wrong decision. When I'm starting a campaign, I roleplay the PC I am thinking of playing through a few solo situations to see if they feel fun.

In an Exandria campaign, consider how the PC will fit in with the region where they are adventuring. Talk to the DM about it. There are great storytelling options, but we don't all enjoy the same stories, and your DM might set up different stories for different types of PCs.

If you listen to CR, you'll notice that the humans tend to be more closely tied to politics and government, while the non-humans tend to have their own "thing" (clan, family, etc...) issues, especially in the 2nd campaign. This is not an absolute rule, but it may be a tendency that you might see in your game.

Zardnaar

Legend
If your using Tasha's the following are good.

Elf
Mountain Dwarf
Satyr
Yuan Ti
Half Elf
Tieflings/Aasimar (if using volos/mordenkainen).

If you don't care about mechanics just go with your gut or whatever's fun/ interests you the most.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Night time is the right time, especially when you're a holy wonder-worker pledged to a deity of the moon.

My first ever character is coming up, and I'll be playing a Cleric in service to the goddess Sehanine [the prankster and shadowy CR version, not the elf-mom FR version]. I know that Twilight Cleric is the sub I want to play above all, but the amount of races and extra abilities in the game is almost over-whelming, especially since Tasha's made picking races by their ASI's less consequential.

I'm personally interested in the firbolg, kenku, tiefling and tortle. Firbolgs [who I'm sorta leaning towards] have a connection to the Feywild like the MW, maybe focusing on autumn, and the Speech of Beast and Leaf could let me talk to nocturnal animals, and the hidden step is just useful. Kenku give me a whole lot of tricky skills, and they're loss of flight could make the build-up to Steps of Night a fun character building moment. Tieflings [Glasya in particular] gives me a nice resistance and some flavorful illusion spells. And Tortles almost let me get the benefits of some of the bonus proficiencies while not making me invest in Str, and the thought of a man-turtle oozing Twilight Sanctuary and concentration-based spells from inside his shell just seems both funny and useful; plus, the moon and the tides tie into this.

Those are just my thoughts, but I'd love to hear your suggestions so I can come to a decision.
I fully support Firbolg. Speech of Beast and Leaf is a whole lot of fun. Detect Magic and Disguise Self are both useful spells, and usable once per short rest plus they also can then be cast using your Cleric spell slots I believe which gives you Detect Magic as a ritual without the need to ever use it as one of your prepared slots (if I am remembering right). You also get more bonus languages than most, and you can play as 200 years old with no problem which gives some oomph to your Wisdom being your highest stat.

DarkMoon250

Explorer
I fully support Firbolg. Speech of Beast and Leaf is a whole lot of fun. Detect Magic and Disguise Self are both useful spells, and usable once per short rest plus they also can then be cast using your Cleric spell slots I believe which gives you Detect Magic as a ritual without the need to ever use it as one of your prepared slots (if I am remembering right). You also get more bonus languages than most, and you can play as 200 years old with no problem which gives some oomph to your Wisdom being your highest stat.
Appreciate the insight. Are there any proficiencies [besides Perception and Insight] that you think would benefit a firbolg cleric? Especially one serving a deity of mystery and love.

auburn2

Adventurer

Those are just my thoughts, but I'd love to hear your suggestions so I can come to a decision
V human or custom lineage is what I would go with. Out of those you mentioned I would take tiefling. Not a fan of the others personally.

Remove ads