D&D General What "Rating" Do You Prefer Your D&D

What Rating Do You Prefer Your D&D

• G: little to no adult content; "family friendly" (Nicktoons)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • PG: some action violence and a few naughty words; no sex (Pixar films)

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • PG-13: harder violence and stronger language; sexual situations; some adult themes (MCU/Star Wars)

Votes: 87 69.6%
  • R: potential violence, gore and sex, and/or heavy adult subject matter (HBO Game of Thrones)

Votes: 42 33.6%
  • X: intentionally violent, horrific, adult and/or sexual (most M video games)

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • You missed my favorite levels of sex and violence!

Votes: 4 3.2%

Reynard

Legend
Spinning out of another thread, I am curious what folks tend to prefer their D&D games to be "rating" wise -- how adult, basically. I know there are fat fuzzy lines between categories, and I know some people run multiple games for different age ranges etc. So I am allowing 2 votes for those folks that do have distinct playgroups, but I am mostly interested in what your personal preference is.

As always, feel free to expound in the thread.

Scribe

Legend
There is a longer response to this jumbling its way around my skull that I'm hoping to lean on some of the more...verbose on the board to flesh out. They dont know, but its coming.

Essentially though, I dont need long descriptions of broken bodies, guts and suffering, but it needs to be understood that its still there, its happening.

I want the setting/art/rules, to reflect the fact that we are facing creatures with extremely large teeth/claws, that we are hitting things with very large/sharp implements, or we are blasting or being blasted by forces that do not exist in reality, all while our characters are largely biological entities with the same emotions, flaws, and weaknesses that we have.

Hit a watermelon with a hammer as hard as you can.

Now imagine thats half a dozen other watermelons, and your friend was a bear and took apart a few more, while your other friend set one on fire, and the last put 3 arrows into another.

PG just cannot cut it, and I dont think PG-13 does it either, so R it is.

Remove ads