• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What RPG do you most regret parting with?

Sacrosanct

Legend
My white box that was in great shape. This was before D&D took off a dozen or so years ago, so I ended up selling it on ebay for like, only $100 or so. Last week I sold my still-in-shrinkwrap Holmes basic boxed set for $650, but that money went to help Darlene so I don't regret that.

A few years ago I gave away 90% of my stuff (Dragon magazine #1-200, tons of AD&D stuff, tons of other 1980s RPGs). But I don't regret that either, as they went to a good home. They were just sitting around my home not being used or played.

Reynard

Legend
I also sold all my hardcopies of the Mutant Year Zero books simply to make shelf space and I hate past-Reynard for that bit of idiocy.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I'm not sentimental about vintage (or even specific) copies of old books I've loved, so I've reacquired almost everything I've regretted letting go.

With the exceptions of Thri-Kreen of Athas, a mostly complete set of Shadowrun 3e, and... ironically... my Level Up kickstarter prizes.

Waiting for POD, on the backburner... and my current buying priority, respectively.

Laurefindel

Legend
Not a RPG per se, but the “prehistoric animals” that inspired the bulette/owlbear/rust monster etc. I remember having them as a (young) kid, then donated them at the turn of teenagehood (along with a bunch of other toys I wish I kept). I wouldn’t have any use for them now other than display them in my office or something, but I regret parting with them.

I have a strict "don't even ask policy because no one is borrowing any of my books ever again". I lent someone a copy of the Ravenloft novel "Vampires of the Mist". When I asked him for it back, he had lent it to someone else...I never saw it again. As strange as it sounds, I almost think that's worse than just having stolen it.

Yep - these days I don't lend people books, period. Recommend, buy them as gifts, sure. Lend, never. Don't me get started on the times they've come back, too, but in terrible condition!

Laurefindel

Legend
Been there. Very sad, as I lost a lot of books. I tried to dry them out, but it just wasnt happening.
I have a 3e Forgotten Realms campaign setting book that got flooded (among others, but this one I kept). I saved it but it’s a solid inch thicker than what it used to be. It’s kind of cool, has that ancient book feel, but not practical whatsoever. Still, kudos to whichever printshop did the bindings; they still hold tight despite the 125% volume inflation. Can’t say the same about my 5e books however…

R_J_K75

Legend
My Runequest 2e collection, that died in a waterfilled cellar together with The Fantasy Trip, old Traveller boxes etc.
Been there. Very sad, as I lost a lot of books. I tried to dry them out, but it just wasnt happening.
Not to get too far off topic but I think it is relevant enough to the conversation to post this. I live on a street where we get flooded in winter pretty badly and frequently. In the last 20 years we've had at least 5 major floods where we've gotten 3 to 4 feet of water in our basements, and it's becoming even more frequent. I have a well sump pump down there but sometimes if the fire department cuts off the electricity, it won't run or it's just not powerful enough to keep up with the pace and amount of water that its useless. I had no idea these existed until a friend brought it to my attention. but they make what is known as a backup sump pump that operates without power. I installed one. If anyone is interested, I can send pictures of how I set mine up and links to the components I used, just message me. Only caveat is I believe you need to already have a regular sump pump installed.

Liberty Pumps SJ10 SumpJet Water Powered Back-Up Pump

Remove ads