• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What RPG Products Have You Gotten Recently?

Mercurius

Legend
What have you gotten recently and can you give us a sentence or two about your impressions of it? Consider than mini-reviews or glimpses, and a good way for others to find out about random stuff. I'll start...

Castlemourn Campaign Setting- just got this yesterday for cheap from Amazon ($8); as a setting junky, I couldn't resist, but don't have any real impressions yet other than it looks like an above average d20 fantasy setting, plus I'm curious to see what Ed Greenwood comes up outside of a Realmsian context.

Shadow World Player's Guide (pdf) - One of my favorite settings of all time, this is a lovely product and just about perfect for an intro to the world. The art ranges from cheesy to quite nice but is overall pretty solid. If you're a fan of Shadow World and/or a setting junky, this is a really nice purchase and solid value ($7 for 60 pages or so). I would also highly recommend it to folks who are looking to write their own campaign setting primers.

Legends of Anglerre - one of the good folks at RPGnet actually gave this to me, sending it free of charge. A really great game, one of the best non-D&D fantasy RPGs out there imo. FATE-based.

In Flames - A rather unique scifi standalone game. Haven't dived into it much, but I liked the premise.

Age of Treason: The Iron Simulacrum (Mongoose Legend) - a new fantasy setting for Legend (aka Runequest 5e). Seems highly influenced by the Roman Empire. An interesting premise.

City Builder - I saw this as a product on RPGNow but couddn't resist the hardcopy. A great resource for city design.

delericho

Legend
I've more or less stopped buying RPG products, having concluded that neither 4e nor Pathfinder is really the game for me. Still...

Pathfinder Beginner Box, more because I wanted to support what I saw as "a beginner set done right" than for the product itself. In years to come, I may well make use of it to introduce a few nephews to the game. It's a lovely-looking product, full of high-quality components. I cannot comment on how the rules work, though.

Pathfinder Jade Regent Adventure Path. I still have an ongoing Pathfinder AP sub, despite not being a convert to the game. This path was initially quite disappointing, but with the third adventure it suddenly seemed to click. I've experienced this with a couple of their paths in the past, that one adventure can really make the premise sing, and "The Hungry Storm" seems to be the one for Jade Regent.

Black Crusade. The fourth in the trilogy of WH40K RPGs had a huge amount of promise, but in the end I was left disappointed. I felt that they didn't really sell the notion of "sell your soul to the Ruinous Powers a little at a time", and that in play the game would likely degenerate to a rather boring race to depravity.

Wombat

First Post
For me it has been Mage Noir by White Wolf, setting M:tA in the post-WWII era, and the FATE version of Kerberos Club, which is set in an alternative Victorian England with magic and super powers.

I love them both :D

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Two months ago I ordered Spellbound Kingdoms as hardcopy and PDF.

One week ago I bought The Haunting of Larvik Island.

That's it for the second half of 2011, if you don't count the DDI subscription.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I recently (and finally) picked up a copy of Dark & Hidden Ways, filling one of the few gaps in my 2nd Edition collection.

Remove ads