D&D 5E What setting would you like for an adventure?

WHich Setting for a Big Adventure Book (ala Curse of Strahd)

• Dragonlance/Krynn

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Kara Tur/Oriental Adventures

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Al Qadim/Arabian Nights

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • Mystara/Known World

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Red Steel

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Jakandor

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Planescape

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Dark Sun/Athas

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • Birthright

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Blackmoor

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Nentir Vale

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Ghostwalk

• Eberron

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • Non-Swordcoast FR

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • Dragonfist

• Other (something I forgot)

Votes: 12 14.5%

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
It was 3e era, short little optional Oriental Adventures add-on. IIRC, the official content was only about 10 pages or so, but it was the only time I can recall that they tried to flesh out the idea of playing in something that had flavors of South Asia (specifically the Indian subcontinent) instead of the usual Ninja / Kung Fu "fusion" they serve up as a "pan-Asian" campaign setting.

It was more useful to get you started on your own homebrew than as a real campaign setting, TBH. I'd love to see them revisit it!

Agreed and Mahasarpa is still available for download too.

And although the ‘Hindu‘ themes give the impression of it being ‘India’ focussed, James Wyatt said his campaign was inspired by Angkor Watt (Cambodia) and I played a game set in Vietnam.

Reynard

Legend
Agreed and Mahasarpa is still available for download too.

And although the ‘Hindu‘ themes give the impression of it being ‘India’ focussed, James Wyatt said his campaign was inspired by Angkor Watt (Cambodia) and I played a game set in Vietnam.
It's a fascinating region. WAY BACK in the day I worked on an Exalted book and leaned heavily on the cultures and mythologies of the area.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Nentir Vale would lend itself to a Red Hand of Doom-y adventure where the PCs hear that another Point of Light reports trouble, go to help, meet allies, relieve the besieged village (or whatever) and bring the retreating foes to battle (or try to) before they can escape the area.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
FR not the Sword Coast: the ocean bay that used to be the psionic kingdom of Jhammdath was high and dry (and depopulated) during the Spellplague, then submerged again. Trying to set up a new kingdom with a bunch of relics floating around again would be a different twist on an old theme. (And provide an 'acid test' for psionics rules that will not threaten Dark Sun.)

Mercurius

Legend
Hard to pick, because all of the ones I'd choose I'd rather see as full-blown setting books.

So I cheated. A bit.

I picked Spelljammer, and imagined an adventure path that is a bit like Star Trek--a long journey, exploring different worlds. The PCs find a spelljammer in some dusty ruin and figure out how to fly it. They leave the world, and travel through the spheres, visiting different worlds. Each world is a sandbox location to be explored, with the underlying quest of "voyaging to world's beyond" and trying to figure out the origin of their ship.

You could do something similar with Planescape, but it would be best served as a setting and/or Manual of the Planes sourcebook.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I feel like they should do this exclusively for the rest of the Kitchen-Sink settings (Greyhawk, Blackmoor, Mystara, Nerath, etc), rather than spend time giving us a setting book for something that competes directly with Forgotten Realms. These could be more than one adventure book for each.

I'd also love an adventure book for Spelljammer, which includes all we need to play like the stats for the ships. No need to have playable Giff or Robo-Gnomes, in my opinion, though maybe they could be released as semi-official addendums with the possibility of upgrading to canon, akin to Tortle, Grung, and Locathah (of which, only Tortle has been republished).

This is as opposed to Planescape, which is more about the various planes and their interesting settings and thus is served better as a setting book. Spelljammer is more "boldly going," and thus fits perfect for an adventure path.

Dragonfist....like the old Jackie Chan movie? Or Dragon Fist like the Super Sayan Goku move?

Also Dragon’s have claws not fists. 🤫

Lankhmar and Blackmoor would be cool, but I have the old products.

I would love some original content...how about a swashbuckling style adventure in the vein of the Three Musketeers and Captain Alatriste novels,( from Arturo Perez Reverte).

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
As long as they don't try to gritty-reboot it and kept it same as it was back in the day, I vote Spelljammer all the way.

And as there seems to be some interest: I've already produced one very well-received and heavily Al-Qadim inspired adventure/”digital sourcebox" called Midnight in the City of Brass, which draws from 2e lore and is entirely compatible with it. We are also just weeks away from releasing a 5e Zakhara campaign guide, which Fate willing will be available in PoD hardcover as well as in PDF.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases