• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What should I get?

Xyanthon

First Post
Heya all, it's anothr of those "what should I get" threads. I am going to the game store in a little while and was wanting to know what complete books I should look at getting? I already have Complete Mage and Complete Arcane and liked them well enough. Are there any others that come highly recommended? Also, what about the Fantastic Locations series? I just wanted to get some thoughts as I go pick up some stuff before heading back to Okinawa.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
This is one of those things that is gonna really depend on what you're looking for, of course.

Based on the fact that you got Complete Arcane and Complete Mage, I'd hazard to guess that you're playing a spellcaster? How about Spell Compendium? It's pretty bad-assed for a spellcasting character.

Psion

Adventurer
Xyanthon said:
I already have Complete Mage and Complete Arcane and liked them well enough. Are there any others that come highly recommended?

My general opinion was that of the completes: the newer, the better. Mage, Adventurer, and Scoundrel were my favorites.

Xyanthon

First Post
Thanks guys. I think I'll go for Complete Adventurer. I read a lot of bad things about Complete Psionic. So is that a "stay away at all costs" product?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Xyanthon said:
Thanks guys. I think I'll go for Complete Adventurer. I read a lot of bad things about Complete Psionic. So is that a "stay away at all costs" product?

Let's just say it doesn't do much for psionic characters that I saw.

Psion

Adventurer
Xyanthon said:

I sort of regret that Complete Psionic was not as good as some of the other completes, but it did have some decent content and some helpful errata. The ardent and erudite are interesting classes, and some of the powers are very useful. I wouldn't say "stay away at all costs", but if you have XPH and want more psionics content, get Malhavoc's Hyperconscious before you bother with Complete Psionic. The divine mind is not playable as written, and what they did to the Talaire was a shame.

BadMojo

First Post
Nightfall said:
Thirded. Complete Adventurer was/is a great book.

I use Complete Adv. constantly. Of all the books (excluding the DMG, PHB and MM) this and Player's Handbook 2 probably get used the most. CA has some great feats, nice new uses for existing skills and some nifty prestige classes that are easy to plug in to an existing campaign.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads