D&D 5E What Should My Next Character Be?

Obryn

Hero
An artificer would let all those defenders share their surges among one another. Plus, you can seriously buff their attacks.

If you want to do both Leader and Controller, it's easy. Go Sentinel Druid. Take the Summer aspect. Get Staff Expertise. This will give you an awesome staff reach 1, which you can also use as an implement without provoking OAs. Go Human, and pick both Tending Strike and something like Fire Hawk or an AoE. Then love life, with your sweet beast companion who won't get hit on account of those three Defenders.

-O

JoeGKushner

First Post
Just spoke with one of the other players.

Apparently after I was killed and headed out, they keept playing and wound up losing the paladin so that player is now making a cleric.

Think it might be time to try out an Essentials Wizard at this point.

jbear

First Post
The Enchanter/Illusionist Human Mage is pretty wicked!

I'd pick that in a heart beat!

Here I'll post my mage for you, I think he's awesome!

Relic, level 4
Human, Mage
Level 1 Apprentice Mage: Enchantment Apprentice: Push, Pull, Slide +2 (enchantment powers only)
Level 4 Apprentice Mage: Illusion Apprentice (Secondary): Target hit by Illusion: -2 Atk against you
Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit): Choose anything here, 5hp difference isnt too major, but my Mage is like Nevyn from Daggerspell who has to unravel karmic knots he caused in others past lives before he is allowed to 'die'

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 19, Wis 15, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 13.

AC: 18 Fort: 15 Reflex: 17 Will: 17
HP: 41 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
History +11, Arcana +11, Dungeoneering +9, Insight +9, Religion +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Endurance +4, Heal +4, Intimidate +3, Nature +4, Perception +4, Stealth +2, Streetwise +3, Thievery +2, Athletics +1

FEATS
Human: Orb Expertise: +1 Push, Pull, Slide (all)
Level 1: Superior Implement Training (Crystal orb): +2 Psychic Dmg, +1 Atk vs Will
Level 2: Unarmored Agility: I dont like getting hit
Level 4: Phantom Echoes: gain CAdv vs targets hit by illusion powers

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Freezing Burst: Evoker power too good to pass up, now it Slides targets 2!
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Beguiling Strands: Wow, Blast 5 At Will vs Enemies ... and your Push on this one = 6!!!
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Phantasmal Assault: Illusion power that keys off all the right notes, psychic vs will, gives everyone CAdv and can't make OAs. Nifty!
Level 1 Mage Daily Powers: Phantom Chasm: illusion, psychic, vs will
Level 1 Mage Daily Powers: Flaming Sphere: I still like to burn things quite often
Level 1 Mage Encounter Powers: Charm of Misplaced Wrath: vs Will, Slide 6 and smack their own friends
Level 1 Mage Encounter Powers: Grasping Shadows: psychic, illusion vs will
Mage Cantrips: Light
Mage Cantrips: Prestidigitation
Mage Cantrips: Suggestion: covers for lack of training in Diplomacy etc.
Level 2 Mage Utility Powers: Instant Friends: Great out of combat power
Level 2 Mage Utility Powers: Mystical Debris: Tricky little power that can work brilliantly considering you can move everything so far!
Level 3 Mage Encounter Powers: Color Spray: vs will, radiant for those undead moments
Level 3 Mage Encounter Powers: Hypnotic Pattern: Illusion, vs Will can be combined wonderfully with other powers that can move so many enemies so far like beguiling strands

ITEMS
Crystal orb

Klaus

First Post
My good old cleric of kord, a mighty dwarf named Algrim has passed this eve.

Now the challenge comes of another character!

I'd like to help the party out by filling a missing role and not stepping on anyone else's 'stick' to to speak.

We have a large party, but its rare that everyone shows up.

1. Eladrin Swordmage

2. Drow Paladin

3. Gnoll Warden

4. Elf Ranger

5. Tielfling Hexblade

The two areas I see missing are leader or controller. I just finished playing a cleric so even if I go with leader, I'm not doing another cleric.

With that in mind, any recommendations? Any recommended builds with that? We get to start off at 4th level but no magic items. Essentials are allowed.
Controller: Longtooth Shifter Spiritbond Seeker with dagger, played like Riddick.

Leader: Half-Elf Valorous Bard with chainmail, longsword and shield, played like the joyous viking in the 13th Warrior.

Obryn

Hero
Enchanters and Illusionists from Essentials lay down the control like no other controller I've ever seen.

Just remember two things...

(1) You're an I-shaped class, which means that Intelligence is everything. If you're human, your Fort & Will get a kicker, in addition to a third at-will, which technically gives you four.

(2) Orb Expertise is basically mandatory.

The Mage in my game ruins my fights like once a session, minimum.

-O

Pbartender

First Post

Enchanters and Illusionists from Essentials lay down the control like no other controller I've ever seen...

The Mage in my game ruins my fights like once a session, minimum.

The Enchanter/Illusionist Human Mage is pretty wicked!

That's pretty close to what I'm playing right now... A standard human Wizard focused on Illusions and Charms, using some Essentials material, but not the Mage class.

We're up at level 13, and he's a blast. Very heavy on control through conditions, I've focused on de-buffing saving throws, and de-emphasized damage with him. his whole job is to figuratively knock the enemy down and sit on their collective heads, while the strikers and defenders kick them in the face. I don't think he has a single Daily spell that actually deals damage.

It's a lot of fun.

Remove ads