D&D 5E What Should My Next Character Be?

JoeGKushner

First Post
My good old cleric of kord, a mighty dwarf named Algrim has passed this eve.

Now the challenge comes of another character!

I'd like to help the party out by filling a missing role and not stepping on anyone else's 'stick' to to speak.

We have a large party, but its rare that everyone shows up.

1. Eladrin Swordmage

2. Drow Paladin

3. Gnoll Warden

4. Elf Ranger

5. Tielfling Hexblade

The two areas I see missing are leader or controller. I just finished playing a cleric so even if I go with leader, I'm not doing another cleric.

With that in mind, any recommendations? Any recommended builds with that? We get to start off at 4th level but no magic items. Essentials are allowed.

Dice4Hire

First Post
My good old cleric of kord, a mighty dwarf named Algrim has passed this eve.

Now the challenge comes of another character!

I'd like to help the party out by filling a missing role and not stepping on anyone else's 'stick' to to speak.

We have a large party, but its rare that everyone shows up.

1. Eladrin Swordmage

2. Drow Paladin

3. Gnoll Warden

4. Elf Ranger

5. Tielfling Hexblade

The two areas I see missing are leader or controller. I just finished playing a cleric so even if I go with leader, I'm not doing another cleric.

With that in mind, any recommendations? Any recommended builds with that? We get to start off at 4th level but no magic items. Essentials are allowed.

I assume the ranger is ranged, so I would go with a ranged Warlord. With direct the strike, you will have some nice choices for MBAs or RBAs with the group.

I think Direct the strike is one of my favorite powers in the game, as if you ae immobilized ,or restrained or dazed, you can still get great shots in with your allies.

On Puget Sound

First Post
Well, you won't need to worry about racial animosity; if those 5 can get along, anything you bring will be no problem.

You're blessed with 3 marking defenders, so you won't have to worry too much about being attacked in melee, even if you're squishy. But a healer will be important. A bard might be fun; a leader with some strong control aspects and a few melee powers that most bards fear to take.

Chris Knapp

First Post
Another fun option for aiding a ranged ranger (or seeker/hunter) is to build a Watcher Spirit Shaman. Grants basic attacks like a warlord and the eagle spirit companion has a neat "defendery" schtick of granting a RBA when an adjacent enemy moves away.

Ryujin

Legend
Cunning Bard with Warlord multi-class. Take Resourceful Leader and Bravura Leader, and watch the action pointie goodness that ensues from you just being in the room.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I was thinking of a Shaman or Shaper Psion. With Knapp's idea, a "summoner" Leader/Controller comes to light, either as a mticlassed or hybrid PC. To complete the picture, ake him a "nature-y" or psi-themed race: Wilden, Shifter, Shardmind, etc.

Incenjucar

Legend
Changeling cunning bard who is secretly actually a rakshasa but who wears the guise of a human. Perhaps get a feline familiar that is a white angora cat and wear a spiked gauntlet to throw them off.

The Monster

Explorer
Warlord! No, Bard! Wait...
Yeah, the cunning bard seems it would add the best. Count me as another vote there. (I just have a deep soft spot for warlords.)

Remove ads