• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What should the next "Monster Type" book from WotC be?

What should the next "Monster Type" book from WOtC be?

• Animals

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • Constructs (Libris Mechanicus)

Votes: 75 18.3%
  • Elementals

Votes: 37 9.0%
  • Fey

Votes: 85 20.8%
  • Giants

Votes: 45 11.0%
  • Humanoids

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Magical Beasts

Votes: 33 8.1%
  • Monstrous Humanoids

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Oozes (The Goonomicon?)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • Outsiders

Votes: 63 15.4%
  • Plants

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • Vermin

Votes: 9 2.2%

Rystil Arden

First Post
A'koss said:
Agreed.

As a DM I almost never use them for anything other than occasional fluff window dressing. As a player, Fey tend to bring out genocidal urges in my characters. All I need are their raw stats so I know how big a fly-swatter to bring along... :cool:

A'koss!
Sprites aren't the beginning and the end of fey, though. Sidhe are useful in filling the role traditional played in the fantasy genre by elves (by not played by D&D elves because they were weakened until they were balanced with humans). Sirine bard pirates can make interesting and dangerous opponents on the high seas. Etc.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Torm said:
I may get lynched for saying this, but I'd love to see a book that stats out lots of creatures from Magic: The Gathering in full D20 glory. Could make for an interesting random encounter creator if you could load a Magic deck with appropriate creatures, shuffle, and draw as needed.

check out the Creature Catalog Homebrews forum...

Greylock

First Post
Lots of folks in this thread have been saying they want to see a new book on the Fey. As I read the posts this morn' I nodded in agreement each time I saw it. Need a good new resource myself.

So imagine my surprise this afternoon when I visited my FLGS. New this week (and so on sale), The Complete Guide to Fey by Goodman Games. Been reading it whilst surfing the forum just now. I must say, it looks dandy. It's got pretty much everything you'd get from a WotC monster book, sans pre-packaged adventures. I like it.

Richards

Legend
Originally posted by Catavarie:
Personally, I'd love to see a book on Centaurs, give me the full background on their history, legends, mythology, religon, everything. And even options for being a playalbe race would be cool too. Now its possible that they have this and I just haven't seen it. If it is out please let me know so i can find it.
Mongoose has The Slayer's Guide to Centaurs, which just about covers everything you mentioned. It was written under the 3.0 rules, but I don't think there'd be too much tweaking you'd need to do to get it up to 3.5 specs.

Johnathan

Dark Psion

First Post
I voted for Constructs: Golems, Effigy, Mechanix, Edilons, Inevidables, and Homonculai.
Oh My :p

Second, Elemental would be good. There are a lot of Elemental creatures from Dark Sun still to convert and Genies and Gensai could be expanded. Just bring back the Paramental and Quasimental planes.

Third, Outsiders. It could be a flipbook, Enlightenment and Damnation.

Fourth, the fey do need to be filled out more, so a Pixienomicon would be good.

zeo_evil

First Post
What? Fey is winning? How can this be? Must say I would not buy that book and I would lynch any DM of mine who thought he was going to make good use of it.

Seriously the more I think about it I wish I could change my vote to constructs. I think that would be best with new spells and construct materials as well.

Goblyn

Explorer
I still shudder from the days of 2e

I voted constructs. Why? Golems. Animated objects. Robots. Mecha. Starchips. AI.

BOZ said:
we have a whole lot of fey on the Creature Catalog, largely thanks to yours truly. ;)

For the love of god, please, I wish for no travesty like that of the complete book of elves. Should I see again such a thing, I don't think I could be held responsible for my actions should I survive them.

I mean ... to each his own.

X-Marks!

First Post
Worth Saying More than Once

Said it before, say it again: Fey, fey, fey! Just so much to draw on from real myth and legend and fable.

Also, the aforementioned Magic:tG/MM concept book is something I've often thought of. Seems a natural to me. Y'know, brand cross-polinization and all.

Eluvan

First Post
Yay! :D

Fey are beating constructs now. I would love a new Fey sourcebook... that would be very cool. I really disagree that Fey can only be used for annoyances or victims... they're versatile enough to be used in just about any role, plus they're all tied together by a really cool flavour and backstory.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads