• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What songs make you think of DND?

Draegn

Explorer
The Court of The Crimson King by King Crimson and Princess Coldheart by The Legendary Pink Pots

Both songs provided the basis for a family of NPC nobility.

aco175

Legend
Some classical Wagner, Ride of the Valkyries and Entrance to Valhalla.

Back in the day, we had a party of competing clerics that would sing MC Hammer- Pray, just to make it today.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Like many, it’s not really D&D music, but music that envokes strong nostalgia. For example. The Duran Duran album, Seven and the ragged tiger is an album I listened to over and over while soaking in the 1e hardbacks, so whenever I hear a song from that album, I immediately get flashbacks to those books.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Pretty much anything from the Sword's Age of Winters album. Pretty much anything by DragonForce.

Last edited:

Sunset Rubdown - Dragons Lair (from the album Dragonslayer)

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - most of their stuff really, but albums like Murder of the Universe especially

ccs

41st lv DM
Pretty much any '80s rock you'd have heard on a pop station/MTV between '81-to about '88. Because that's what was almost always on in the background as I was absorbing BECMi & 1e.
And for some reason:
*anything by The Stray Cats makes me think specifically of The Isle of Dread.
*anything by the Bangles brings Temple of Elemental Evil to mind.
Yeah. I have no idea how the wiring in my head is spliced together....

On the classical side, Bolero. Anytime I hear it I think of Conan The Destroyer - wich leads immediately to thinking of D&D.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
This may be cheating since it was used in LotR, but "I see fire" by Ed Sheeran

That and Castle On The Hill, respectively, are lynchpin songs in my playlists for my two 5e rogue characters.

Dresden’s love of his shipmates, and the horror of seeing them killed by a necromancer and used as undead minions, and his guilt about surviving by being in town haggling when it happened, are represented in I See Fire. “If we’re to die tonight, we shall all die together.” Not so much, it seems, and it haunts him.

Finnan wants nothing more in life than to settle down on a small plot of land, grow food and raise critters, and maybe have a family. He wants, in short, to go home. He recalls his youth, the golden fields and green woods of home. His family and friends who he always meant to return to.

He can never go home. He is displaced in time, raised from the dead by a shadowy god of thieves and assassins, and is now a darkling thing. So the playlist starts with Castle On The Hill.

Then for another character there’s AFI’s So Beneath You, and Prelude 12/21. Khalid the shader-kai Monk was an arena slave for over 20 years. His life was blood and sand and the roar of the arena. Prelude 12/21 brings to mind the moment before the gate is raised, as he waits, letting the drum beat of the impatient crowd quicken his heartbeat, and drive him into the frenzy he needs to win, the stimulus he needs to stay sane. The final “close my eyes and lay me to...sleep.” Fills my mind with the image of him rushing impatiently under the raising gate toward his opponent, only to disappear, and reappear above them, all whirling chain and razor sharp grin.

So Beneath You feels almost written for Khalid, and his best friend Vidanyia, who is a Blood of Vol Paladin. “There is no one above, and I won’t serve anyone.” And “I won’t kneel! I won’t bow! If you’re there God Strike me down, Strike me down. Oh you’ve got nothing!” Perfectly encapsulate how these characters view the gods. If they do exist, who cares?

As far as dnd in general, for some reason Tank! from Cowboy Bepop.

Remove ads