• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What songs should I cover?

Stone Angel

First Post
Well I am going to an open mic type of showcase thing night next Wed and I am having trouble picking some songs so I thought I would ask some advice on what should round out my set.

As of right now we can play up to five songs. Two of them will be my own. I want to have a rounded out type of set.

*Never (my own)
*Pretty Girl (my own)
Time after Time Cindi Lauper
????
?????

I just don't know where to go from here. Never is a rock type song and Pretty girl is a fun drunk party song.

My other candidates right now are Maybe som Petty, Broken by Seether(though I think that this is overplayed and wouldn't be suprised if some one else covered it before me), Watchtower by Dylan.

So any thoughts musings or ideas would be welcome.

The Seraph of Earth and Stone

Greylock

First Post
"No Matter What" - Badfinger

Or really, any Badfinger will do. "Baby Blue", "Suitcase", "I Can't Take It", or the inevitable "Without You". Even "Sweet Thursday Morning", "Carry on", or "Come and Get it".

Badfinger. They's hip.

FREEEEBIIIRRRRDDD!!!!!

White Stripes are easy to learn quickly and popular. You could do something less obvious like "Hotel Yorba", "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground", or "Fell in love with a girl".

AelyaShade

First Post
Along the previous poster's lines, I'd suggest Josh Stone's version of the White Stripes "Fell in Love With a Girl". Appropriately enough, it's titled "Fell in Love with a Boy". You could also try anything from Lacuna Coil. "I Will Survive" is always a crowd pleaser as well. :)

Last edited:

Well, assuming the song list above is the order you're going to do them in, I'd think you'd need something a little upbeat after "Time After Time" (great song, btw), and if you follow the rock concert paradigm, a crowd-pleasing singalong at the end.

How'bout some Prince?

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
"I Walk On Guilded Splinters" by Widespread Panic (actually Dr. John, but Panic's cover is way better)
If this is gonna be a solo acoustic, do some Robert Johnson. They're simple and they sound cool. "Me and the Devil Blues"
Ya can't go wrong with covering something but making it sound nothing like the original. Like the country cover of "Gin & Juice", or String Cheese Incident's semi-bluegrass version of "Walk This Way"
"Bouncing Round the Room" by Phish

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
I don't think I've been to an open mic without hearing All Along the Watchtower. I suggest Oh Sweet Nothing by The Velvet Underground, Life By the Drop by SRV, and then Dock on the Bay to finish. Good Luck.

Remove ads