D&D 5E What spell have you never seen cast?

Shiroiken

Legend
Not helpful for the OP, but everyone in my group was shaking our head at Skywrite. The only use anyone could find for it would be to write profanity in the sky, since I ruled he couldn't draw a giant **** instead.

Some good, but uncommon options: Geas, Reduce (of Enlarge/Reduce), Enthrall, Contagion, and Enemies abound. While Banishment is common, having the effect happen suddenly with no idea what happened would scare the hell out of the party.

MarkB

Legend
Not helpful for the OP, but everyone in my group was shaking our head at Skywrite. The only use anyone could find for it would be to write profanity in the sky, since I ruled he couldn't draw a giant **** instead.

In one game where we were playing army scouts, it was a handy low-level way of sending messages between groups of scouts, so long as we didn't mind everyone in the area being able to see it. Also useful for instructing really large armies, or directing naval units.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Never seen cast:

1st level - Witch bolt
2nd level - Melf’s Acid Arrow
3rd level - Fear
4th level - conjure minor elementals
5th level - contagion
6th level - arcane gate
7th-9th level - All of them, except finger of death and power word kill.

Always seen, never succeeded:

Banishment - I’ve seen this spell cast a total of 20 times in 5e, by nine different people (myself included). It has never, ever worked.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
tragic missile
furball
feather fail
Tenser's floating dick
Rick and Morty's magnificent mansion
phantasmal farce
dingleberry
meatier swarm
visibility
misty stab
power word fart
Kanye woodland creatures
slooooooooooooooooooow

Am I doing it right?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Never seen cast:

1st level - Witch bolt
2nd level - Melf’s Acid Arrow
3rd level - Fear
4th level - conjure minor elementals
5th level - contagion
6th level - arcane gate
7th-9th level - All of them, except finger of death and power word kill.

Always seen, never succeeded:

Banishment - I’ve seen this spell cast a total of 20 times in 5e, by nine different people (myself included). It has never, ever worked.

Our party was just forcibly transported to the City of Brass on the Plane of Fire. Our Cleric (who has the spell) immediately told our Warlock (who can have the spell) that between the two of them, they could banish the entire party including themselves back to the Prime Material Plane. And they could do it soon if needed as they had the spell slots needed for it.

The DM paused, not realizing the entire plot for this adventure could be avoided in moments, and gulped.

We decided for now to take on the adventure anyway. But it was amusing, and I had never considered Banishment as a transportation spell for our party.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases