• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 What spells got the greatest buff from 3e to 5e?

EroGaki

First Post
At the risk of sounding like a troll (I'm not trying to, believe me) I honestly don't feel that any of the spells got a boost in 5e. The attack spells start out strong, but loose their bite once you have to spend higher slots to cast them.

There are some fun new spells that I like, such as the Healing Word spell, but all of the classics seem like neutered versions of themselves.

WarHawke

First Post
The only spells that scale automatically at higher levels are cantrips. For all other spells, the only way to get greater effect is to cast them using a higher level spell slot. (Just to be clear, I have absolutely no problem with this, I was only bringing it up for comparison).

Oh, well yeah, the cantrips do the autoscaling to "caster level" which isn't a thing but is a thing (under multiclass rules). Spells scale with spell slots now.

But still... it isn't too bad of a mid level damage spell that doesn't miss (which isn't a big deal with the new ranged touch rules) and can split to hit multiple opponents, as long as they don't reaction a shield spell.

Oh, well yeah, the cantrips do the autoscaling to "caster level" which isn't a thing but is a thing (under multiclass rules). Spells scale with spell slots now.

But still... it isn't too bad of a mid level damage spell that doesn't miss (which isn't a big deal with the new ranged touch rules) and can split to hit multiple opponents, as long as they don't reaction a shield spell.

Remember that there isn't any caster level. If you have 1 level of wizard and 19 levels of fighter your cantrips do just as much damage as if you had 20 levels of wizard.

WarHawke

First Post
I dont have the book in front of me, but under the multi-class rules I remember it saying something in there for spells in keeping the class level in mind for the spells known. I don't know for sure if cantrips are by class level or character level.

Either way, cantrips just put you close to the damage output of a warrior, though str and damage bonuses (unless you are specialized that way) will outrun your damage output. But it does still make you far less useless than using a heavy crossbow using your dex to hit and a low to-hit bonus, since 5e lets you use yoru primary casting ability to determine the "to hit" bonuses.

Mr Fixit

Explorer
Slow seems insanely powerful for a 3rd level spell. Targets 6 creatures, halves their movement, -2 to AC, robs them of their reactions and bonus actions AND reduces the number of attacks to 1, regardless of how many they can make (hello monk or high-level fighter).

Since many debilitating spells allow for repeated saves each turn, those that don't can be pretty strong: for instance 4th level Banishment. Fail your save and off you go for the duration. Cast it as a, say, 7th level spell, you can banish 4 creatures at the same time. A great equalizer if you're fighting a larger number of powerful enemies.

drjones

Explorer
Both of those are concentration though, while they may have a greater effect per spell slot they are also greatly diminished in the ability to stack them with other spells. So far I like that a lot, the spell is potent but it's not an I Win button that is applicable in all circumstances.

Mr Fixit

Explorer
Both of those are concentration though, while they may have a greater effect per spell slot they are also greatly diminished in the ability to stack them with other spells. So far I like that a lot, the spell is potent but it's not an I Win button that is applicable in all circumstances.

Sure. My point with Banishment, for instance, is that there are multiple save or suck (concentration) spells, but they usually give renewed saves each round. Banishment has you covered all the way, if the opponent fails the first (and only) time. It's pretty nifty.

Remove ads