• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 What spells got the greatest buff from 3e to 5e?

Bladebarian

First Post
It's not just the spells themselves, but sometimes the combinations...

Glibness & Telekinesis (by charisma-based spellcaster):
Both from previous editions. The mechanics enable a beautiful synergy by RAW. Glibness lasts 1 hour (no concentration) and sets the minimum possible die roll for any charisma check to 15. Telekinesis is a spellcasting ability check vs strength check of target. So a good high-level combo for a Bard (taking Telekinesis from Magical Secrets) or a Sorcerer (Glibness from a Wish).

Demiplane:
Used to be an epic spell in 3.5 (also similar to 9th level spell, Genesis)? I think. Now it's an 8th level spell, perhaps not as cool in some ways, but available earlier and still has lots of potential. The big difference being it is an actual plane in its own right (PHB pg. 302).

Consider Demiplane & Plane Shift:
Create a unique demiplane, then plane shift your target to the demiplane. It's an early (and cheap) version of imprisonment. Plus you can prep the demiplane with 'fun' for the target to experience upon arrival. For example, fill it with water for targets that like to swim, place some magic mouths that trigger the most annoying sound in the world, decorate the place like a party (for one) with a 6th-level version of Major Image, how about some Stinking Clouds (from a permanent Guards and Wards), maybe some Explosive Runes and Symbols, or just pack it full of undead... Who says imprisonment had to be boring? You can always plane shift more guests from time to time. Start a collection.

Cantrips in general got quite a boost, based on the fact they can be cast at will and scale up. But one combat cantrip that's gotten quite a boost is Chill Touch which prevents healing, and debuffs undead. But I think the most notable thing about it is that it's no longer a touch range spell, instead it absorbed Spectral Hand and replacing the Spectral Hand + Chill Touch combo of 3e Necromancers.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Dispel Magic - It automatically ends spells of equal or lower level. There is no area version anymore, but that seems to be a small price.
I'm glad for this change.

At high levels, we regularly rolled saves vs. Dispel Magic three or more times per big fight. It was a hassle to roll against every single spell.

Some of the ones that immediately stood out to me are old classics that weren't very effective in 3e.

Sleep now retains its usefulness throughout the game, due to scaling in higher spell slots--and the fact that it works based on current hp.

Fireball is actually the good spell it used to be! 8d6 rather than 5d6 damage.

It's interesting that some spells are nerfed via concentration, while spells like fireball that look they should be good (but weren't in 3e) have been buffed up to meet old school (and probably new gamer) expectations.

Meteor Swarm: Most spells in 5e do less damage than their 3e counterparts. It's just the opposite for MS. It went from 24d6 to 40d6, and affects a far larger area.

I noticed meteor swarm also. Finely worth having! But I'm not sure what you mean with spells doing less damage. All of the classic damage dealing spells that I looked at seemed to do at least as much damage, and often more. Maybe we're talking about a different category of damage spells, but the classic evocations, at least, seem better than ever.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I noticed meteor swarm also. Finely worth having! But I'm not sure what you mean with spells doing less damage. All of the classic damage dealing spells that I looked at seemed to do at least as much damage, and often more. Maybe we're talking about a different category of damage spells, but the classic evocations, at least, seem better than ever.

Spells in 5e often do more damage at lower levels, but less damage later on since they don't scale automatically with caster level anymore. Magic missile, for example, does 3d4 + 3 at level 1. But it doesn't scale. In 3e, it did up to 5d4 + 5 at level 9+ while still using a 1st level slot.

CapnZapp

Legend
Just because a spell does more damage in 5e than in 3e does not mean it has been "buffed" or is more worth having.

Theoretical example:

If all monsters have double hit points in 5e compared to 3e, then Fireball have actually been nerfed, even though it goes from 5d6 to 8d6.

A direct damage comparison between editions can be misleading.

Remove ads