D&D 5E What starting adventure provides a "best of D&D" experience?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd go with a small scale sandbox based on LMoP:
  • Use Dragon of Icespire as a list of possible side treks once they are established in Phandalin.
  • Position TftYP's adventures somewhere on the map not to far from your Phandalin.
  • Do the same with Saltmarsh's adventures.

So with all that you have an incredible adventure (LMoP) with a boat load of possible adventures sites to create the ultimate High Adventure Zone.
Honestly, I think Chris Perkins has designed the entire 5E Adventure line to facilitate a Lego-like build your own High Adventure Zone environment.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Lost Mines of Phandelver was a great start, then I tied in with Hoard of the Dragon Queen. It's better to start HotDQ at higher than level 1. YMMV.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I love Dragon Heist as a starter adventure. It is modular and has a couple of parts that are janky, so requires a skilled DM. But I find it very engaging, as the environment (a city) and the villains (any of them) are very proactive in their goals and keep the PCs on their toes.
I like it, but it really is almost more a Setting than an "Adventure" if you consider that to mean having a tight plot.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I like it, but it really is almost more a Setting than an "Adventure" if you consider that to mean having a tight plot.

I don't really think of adventures that way... if I did, I would consider both Avernus and Icewind Dale as more settings than adventure, as they are quite sandbox-y as well and introduce very detailed worlds.

aco175

Legend
I would like to take the 4e Netir Vale map and the 4e DMG Fallcrest to make a setting. I may update the Keep on the Shadowfell adventure as a starter and add some homebrew as well. Problem is that I would need to update everything to 5e.

You can also take some the DMsGuild adventures for Phandalin and Leilon to use. Several are pay what you want.

Mercurius

Legend
I'd go with a small scale sandbox based on LMoP:
  • Use Dragon of Icespire as a list of possible side treks once they are established in Phandalin.
  • Position TftYP's adventures somewhere on the map not to far from your Phandalin.
  • Do the same with Saltmarsh's adventures.

So with all that you have an incredible adventure (LMoP) with a boat load of possible adventures sites to create the ultimate High Adventure Zone.
This is good and pretty much what I have in mind, plus sprinkling in a megadungeon or three. I'd have to re-skin it for my world (plus, I hate the name "Phandalin").

I haven't purchased any of the last few books, but might have to bite the bullet with Saltmarsh.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
This is good and pretty much what I have in mind, plus sprinkling in a megadungeon or three. I'd have to re-skin it for my world (plus, I hate the name "Phandalin").

I haven't purchased any of the last few books, but might have to bite the bullet with Saltmarsh.
I think its the last one I bought. Its pretty good honestly.

If you own Princes of the Apocalypse, you can use the whole dungeon plus its 4 outposts as is.

I'd skip: Dead in Thay, The Final Enemy and Isle of the Abbey. They are, IMHO, a little bland when compared to the others.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases