D&D 5E What Subclasses would you like to see?

Khaalis

Adventurer
In the vein of Morrus's "What Feats are missing?" thread, I'd like to get a feel for what subclasses people might like to see.

For instance:

• On Reddit someone wanted to convert the Swiftblade PRC to a Fighter Archetype.
  • I have been thinking about whether porting over my 3E Duelist / 4E Fencer concept over as a Fighter or possibly rogue subclass, gaining Unarmored Defense, Cutting Words, etc.

- So what concepts and subclasses would you like to see?

- What of those concepts do you think are viable as subclasses or that can be distilled down to a feat?

- Are there any major class archetype from say pathfinder that would require a whole new class with its own subclasses? (For instance my old Duelist could be an ALT fighter with a set of its own subclasses.)

We can use this list as project source material.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

First, just say no to class/sub-class/prestige-class bloat! Every time a new class/sub-class/prestige-class shows up, a kitten looses it's fur. So please, no...think of the freezing kittens! ;)

Second, Archtypes are the way to go, methinks. I'd like to see some archtypes that excel in certain surroundings....like some kind of "arctic ranger", or "underground druid". They don't have to be drastic, obviously, but a couple of little things to make them different and interesting would be great!

I think we'll see some serious archtype's when/if WotC starts to release books for all the cool worlds they have at their disposal. Birthright, Dark Sun, Planescape, etc. :D

This thread should end up with some pretty neat ideas, so I'm definitely gonna keep checking in!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

I want to see a politico character that is fundamentally about Machiavellian scheming, as a Rogue archetype. I say this with Game in Thrones in mind - so that we can play characters like Littlefinger, Varys or Cersei. There is also a possibility for having a series of ‘Agitator’ political colleges for Bards, depending on the setting to allow for demagogue style characters.

We do already have the Noble background, but I’d like to see the Rogue archetype list expanded a bit anyway - so you could get a feel of it accounting for a whole society of different character types. Ditto Fighter archetypes possibly too.

Wizard subclasses/specialties based on concepts other than the traditional schools of magic.

Cultural variants (musketeer and samurai for fighters, for instance).

A cavalier subclass of fighter.

A non-magic-using ranger--which might actually be served better with a "scout" archetype for the rogue, but either way.

Shadow, vestige, elemental (genie), death/dead spirits pacts for the warlock.

Note, though, that I don't want these just for the sake of having them. The ideas have to be solid, and they need to offer options that you couldn't already build. For instance, a cavalier class is only worth it if it's markedly different than what you could get with (champion or battlemaster) + noble background + mounted combatant feat.

And I'd be willing to write some of them if Wizards asked me. *cough* ;)

CapnZapp

Legend
A Barbarian that doesn't rely on Strength.

Or rather, strike that, what I need is a Barbarian who can actually use her Unarmored Defense feature = essentially remaining the same but dropping armor; making armor a purely aestethic choice with neither armored or unarmored being substantially better/cheaper.

Without having to focus on THREE stats.

So I am hoping to see a Barb subclass that key of Dexterity. It's okay that the goodies from this subclass aren't as strong as the berserker or totem barbs, just as long as the core feature of the class keys off of Dex: ideally a Rage variant that allows for two-weapon fighting (does not require the bonus action) and Finesse weapons (no explicit mention of Strength-based actions/attacks).

Perhaps a whirling dervish, where each "whirl" corresponds to one rage...?

Remove ads