• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What text style would you prefer in a PPP Bottle City book?

grodog

Hero
I'm working with Rob Kuntz on preparing the once-Greyhawk-Castle "Bottle City" level for publication, and need your input. Which text format/style would you prefer in a Bottle City publication from Pied Piper Publishing?

For context, the printed book format we're considering for this project is a facing-page transcription. That is, on the right page would be a high-quality reproduction of the original Bottle City manuscript page, while facing it on left page would be a typed transcription of the same page. Maps would be handled similarly (updated single-page "playing" map on the left, reproduction of the original map on the right; actual-sized poster-sized maps are also being investigated as print options, too).

For reference, the original Bottle City auction image is preserved in Paul Stormberg's eBay "About Me" page at http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=the_collectors_trove

What I need to determine from this poll is how exactly interested you are in reproducing the exact text from the manuscript pages. I can transcribe them as-is, or clean them up quite a bit.

To facilitate your voting, I have posted a .pdf on my web site with a sample encounter from the Bottle City level: one in the format of how I would I render an exact transcription, one that I consider an partially cleaned-up transcription that tries to hold the middle ground between a full edit and the exact original, and an exact/original transcription. I've also provided the original manuscript encounter for comparison, as well as a section from the map for reference (I don't provide a cleaned-up, nicely redrawn map since I don't have one yet :D ). The file is at http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/temp/bottle_city-transcription-formats-poll.pdf

If you are interested in the text format for this project, please cast your vote at http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4423

Your thoughtful comments and feedback are very appreciated! Thanks :D

Melkor

Explorer
grodog said:
For context, the printed book format we're considering for this project is a facing-page transcription. That is, on the right page would be a high-quality reproduction of the original Bottle City manuscript page, while facing it on left page would be a typed transcription of the same page. Maps would be handled similarly (updated single-page "playing" map on the left, reproduction of the original map on the right; actual-sized poster-sized maps are also being investigated as print options, too).

I think that this is a perfect format grodog. As for the text, I would suggest cleaning up the typos, correcting punctuation, and expanding on the abbreviations. Since the originals will be there for reference, there is no need to go to ridiculous lengths to preserve the integrity of the originals by including typos and the like.

I'm assuming this will be AD&D 1E Compatible?

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's going to add a fair amount to the page count and thus cost to do it that way, when it's mostly of interest to hardcore collectors and RPG historians. Is that the expected audience?

If you go that way, I'd consider having a version of just the cleaned-up pages available, too, for people who want to play the module without paying for the historical aspects. (This is no condemnation of people interested in the history, I might be one of those people myself.)

I preferred the full edit. Offering scans of the original handwritten manuscript is cool, but I'd prefer them as a supplemental download or separate booklet rather than part of the main (edited) version.

Hierax

First Post
Great idea, Grodog!

The key point is to preserve the original text and maps in as clearly as possible.

Once that is done on the one page there really is no point to exactly reproducing the text on the facing page. Personally, I find the exact handwriting transcript is particuarly jarring, it's great to read it in handwriting but just plain annoying (and hard to do correctly) in typeset text -- which is why you don't see things published this way; with a clean scan on the first page this is just a waste of space in the book and your time doing it.

For this second page, it is better to go with as fully cleaned-up and edited as possible with as much expansion (how RJK would re-do it now) commentary as RJK has time for.

Heck, ideally, I'd like to see this in a format as close as possible to classic 1e modules, with 1 column (or part of) having a finalized 1e write-up and the other column having RJK's commentary. However, I realize that this is a question of how much time and effort RJK can spare with everything else he's working on.

I guess what I'm saying is that the facing pages "something old, something new" concept is perfect for this, just provide something different on the second page. That said, since you providing the originals I'll get it regardless.

I hope that that helps.

trollwad

First Post
a little skeptical

I really like what Rob did with Dark Chateau and Castle Maure. I like the idea of Bottle City but based on the scribble you just showed me, I sure wouldnt buy it. Is this like the modern art phase where artists with a reputation can simply throw paint at a wall and people will buy it (at least for a while)? Im sure Rob needs to make a living, but cmon, Id rather another installment of Maure Castle or the Deep Tunnel below Dark Chateau. Are people really going to pay top dollar for some scribbles on his big chief notepad from 20 years ago?

grodog

Hero
trollwad said:
I really like what Rob did with Dark Chateau and Castle Maure. I like the idea of Bottle City but based on the scribble you just showed me, I sure wouldnt buy it. Is this like the modern art phase where artists with a reputation can simply throw paint at a wall and people will buy it (at least for a while)? Im sure Rob needs to make a living, but cmon, Id rather another installment of Maure Castle or the Deep Tunnel below Dark Chateau. Are people really going to pay top dollar for some scribbles on his big chief notepad from 20 years ago?

Just to be clear, trollwad, in case I wasn't initially: what I provided was an extracted sample of the full manuscript and map. The ms. is 13 pages long, the map is 4 sheets of graph paper connected into an 17"x22" dungeon environment.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Could people please stop the publisher marketing survey threads in General? This is the third I've had to move today.

Pulisher research belongs in the Publishers & Press Releases forum. Thanks, folks.

Remove ads