D&D 5E What the warlord needs in 5e and how to make it happen.

Paul Smart

Explorer
According to wrecan, one of the experts on Warlords, a warlord in 5e needs the following:

1: Grant advantage to the next attack made by an ally (and the Warlord also attacks).
2: Give an ally a bonus "free" attack with extra damage.
3: Grant bonuses (or advantage) to initiative checks.
4: Give an ally a "free" move (and the Warlord also attacks).
5: Give an ally a save against an ongoing effect (and the Warlord also attacks).
6: Use an interrupt to reduce damage to an ally.
7: Restore lost HP to an ally (and the Warlord also attacks).
8: Improve out-of-combat healing.
9: Allow and ally to move and attack off-turn.
10: Grant an ally a "free" attack with NO bonuses (and the Warlord also attacks).
11: Give an ally a bonus to damage on their next attack (and the Warlord also attacks).

Do you agree with this list? If so, how could this be implemented in 5e? I am curious what peoples thoughts are on this.

Most of the allowing a single attack alongside the Warlord making an attack sound doable as post-5th-level options. Probably would use the reaction of the ally until post-11th level though. I'd suggest they not allow some riders on the granted attack such as Sneak attack and possibly feat effects etc.

Granting a full action (that could be used with Extra Attack or to cast a spell) I don't think would be suitable to allow the warlord to make an attack as well however, or at least require significant resource expenditure.

Granting a minor amount of temporary HP is a pretty low-power effect. Actually healing HP damage would require expending limited resources.
Doing that and also attacking would depend upon how much HP is regained, how much resources it costs and how limited the resources are.

The "make an attack and grant an effect" is very much a 4th-ed thing, and I do not believe that a 5th-ed warlord would require the majority of its abilities to be based on that model.

As to actually assembling and implementing the class, I think that the resource system needs to be decided upon. Does it work like superiority dice, with a limited pool refreshing after short rests, or like spell points or spell slots etc?
Are these resources plentiful and spent on most warlord abilities, or are they very limited and only used for major effects with the majority of the warlord abilities being at-will?

transtemporal

Explorer
I like the idea of the warlord as there's a lot of potential for unique mechanics but the list is too complicated.

I don't think it's clear enough either e.g. is number 10 triggered when the warlord uses an attack action or when he makes an attack? (think chaining warlords).

I also think the introduction of granted attacks as free actions makes rogues suddenly very powerful.

I've implemented a warlord in 5th ed twice. Once was essentially a Valor bard with a limited spell list that worked in an antimagic zone.

The other was closer to these suggestions I think. It was based upon a Battlemaster Fighter without Extra Attack and a maneuver list based more towards aiding others rather than affecting enemies the warlord themselves hit. The warlord gained a temporary superiority die per round that it could spend as an action on some of those maneuvers. The more powerful maneuvers such as healing or granting a save with the dice as a bonus required real superiority dice to be spent though.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
According to wrecan, one of the experts on Warlords, a warlord in 5e needs the following:

1: Grant advantage to the next attack made by an ally (and the Warlord also attacks).
5: Give an ally a save against an ongoing effect (and the Warlord also attacks).
10: Grant an ally a "free" attack with NO bonuses (and the Warlord also attacks).
11: Give an ally a bonus to damage on their next attack (and the Warlord also attacks).

Do you agree with this list? If so, how could this be implemented in 5e? I am curious what peoples thoughts are on this.

1. Covered by battlemaster
2. Covered by battlemaster
3. Covered by bard
4. Covered by battlemaster
5. ...
6. Covered by bard
7. Covered by battlemaster (temp hp)
8. Covered by bard
9. Covered by battlemaster
10. Covered by battlemaster
11. Covered by bard

So that collection of abilities is basically already in the game between 2 classes. I'd say those abilities may could be combined into one class and probably balanced as long as you don't allow them to be at will.

I don't think that combination of abilities is really what warlord fans are looking for.

Dausuul

Legend

That is a very specific list of features. I would like to know the reasoning behind them. Why those, all of those, and no others?

As far as I'm concerned, the thing the 4E warlord has that 5E currently lacks is the option to be a non-spellcasting support character - the "lazy warlord." The battlemaster does a good job filling the traditional 4E warlord role, but it's still a heavy combat class. I want a class that can inspire others and shape the battlefield without having to swing a blade or cast a spell.

The exact details, however, I'm flexible on. I certainly don't have anything like this laundry list. (In fact, what I want probably would not even be called a "warlord." I'm flexible on that too.)

Last edited:

Mc bard fighter.
2 level of bard, then 5 fighter weapon master.
6 level bard, then 3 level to access weapon master.
Wont be perfect but can give a nice look.

Paladin can be tweak to take out the divine flavor and replace it with a more charismatic or tactical flavor.
Smite Is nice for a warlord.
Divine health not that much.
Aura of warding and aura of protection are nice too for a warlord.

Remove ads